How do I set location where a file/project is saved?
Thread poster: bendksu
bendksu
bendksu  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:51
Member (2011)
Danish to English
+ ...
Mar 28, 2019

I am currently working in Studio 2017.
When I load a file into Studio (by drag and drop) and save it, I need to always navigate to the location where it is to be saved. Studio wants to save it under Studio->Drop files, which is annoying, as it takes time to navigate to the location of the source file in my file organisation. In my previous versions of Studio, when I click on Save, it would automatically navigate and save the file to the same location as the source file.

How do
... See more
I am currently working in Studio 2017.
When I load a file into Studio (by drag and drop) and save it, I need to always navigate to the location where it is to be saved. Studio wants to save it under Studio->Drop files, which is annoying, as it takes time to navigate to the location of the source file in my file organisation. In my previous versions of Studio, when I click on Save, it would automatically navigate and save the file to the same location as the source file.

How do I change this setting?

Thanks.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, I also miss that Mar 28, 2019

bendksu wrote:
When I load a file into Studio (by drag and drop) and save it, I need to always navigate to the location where it is to be saved. Studio wants to save it under Studio->Drop files, which is annoying...

Yes, I had the same frustration when upgrading to a newer version of Trados Studio.
This is perhaps a "thing" among CAT tool users, always chasing a trend.

I have the same problem with WFP3 vs WFP5. In WFP3, if you drag and drop a file, it creates the TXML file in the same folder as the file that you dragged-and-dropped. In WFP5, if you drag and drop a file, WFP5 offers to create a new project for you, and the project location is WFP5's default location (deep in \Users\MyName\Documents\...).

I've had to change the way I use Trados, and it now takes quite a bit longer to "quickly" do a single file, because it involves copying project files after the project has been completed. I "work on" my Trados projects at \Desktop\Trados 2019 Projects\, and then when I'm done, I zip up the project and move it to the appropriate location (where the original source file is saved).

It sounds complicated when I have to explain it, but it's simple to do (though tedious and time-consuming).

So, suppose my source file is located in e.g. \Desktop\Client XYZ 28mar19\. I run Trados, click "Create New Project", and type in "project - XYZ 28mar19" the Project Name field. Since "Autofill" is enabled, this automatically creates a folder for me at \Desktop\Trados 2019 Projects\project - XYZ 28mar19\. I then do the translation, etc.

When I'm finished, I copy the files that I want to have accessible from \project - XYZ 28mar19\ (and subfolders) into \Client XYZ 28mar19\, and then I zip up the entire project in \project - XYZ 28mar19\ and move the zip file into \Client XYZ 28mar19\ as well. This means that I always have the project in that folder, and if the client requests updates etc., I simply unzip that project ZIP file back into \Desktop\Trados 2019 Projects\, work on it, and repeat the copy/zip/move process when I'm finished.

I do a similar thing when I receive SDLPPX packages -- when I unpack it, I unpack it into \Desktop\Trados 2019 Projects\, and after I'm done, I do the copy/zip/move thing back to the folder where the job's other files are saved.

[Edited at 2019-03-28 09:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I set location where a file/project is saved?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »