Thread poster: VaclavCermak
VaclavCermak
VaclavCermak
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:54
English to Czech
May 30, 2019

Hello,

I have noticed that sometimes my customer provides me with diferent wordcount than what my Trados Studio 2017 says. But I'm a little bit perplexed by confusion right within the Studio itself.
Right now I have a project there. When I'm in the Files option it shows some number of no matches and when I'm in Editor mode, it shows completely different number of no matches. Why is that and can this be fixed?

Pictu
... See more
Hello,

I have noticed that sometimes my customer provides me with diferent wordcount than what my Trados Studio 2017 says. But I'm a little bit perplexed by confusion right within the Studio itself.
Right now I have a project there. When I'm in the Files option it shows some number of no matches and when I'm in Editor mode, it shows completely different number of no matches. Why is that and can this be fixed?

Pictures:

Files option

Editor

[Edited at 2019-05-30 09:21 GMT]
Collapse

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Repetitions in Draft word count May 31, 2019

I guess many words in Draft (translation state) are actually Repetitions (Analysis Statistiscs).

VaclavCermak
VaclavCermak
Czech Republic
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
Inconsisten wordcount in Trados Studio 2017 May 31, 2019

NeoAtlas wrote:

I guess many words in Draft (translation state) are actually Repetitions (Analysis Statistiscs).

It doesn't make any sense to show two different wordcounts within the same project and it is very confusing. I don't want to bother my customers about wrong wordcounts while it seems to be the Trados fault.

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:54
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Two different statistics May 31, 2019

These are two very different things. The values in your 'Files option' image are a detailed analysis of the content, while the values in your 'Editor' image show how many segments/words are confirmed or unconfirmed at a given moment. The latter does not take into account any repetitions or fuzzy matches – only the current status of the segments.

Because of that, the values will never match (and they don't need to!). In your particular case, it does seem odd, though, that you have
... See more
These are two very different things. The values in your 'Files option' image are a detailed analysis of the content, while the values in your 'Editor' image show how many segments/words are confirmed or unconfirmed at a given moment. The latter does not take into account any repetitions or fuzzy matches – only the current status of the segments.

Because of that, the values will never match (and they don't need to!). In your particular case, it does seem odd, though, that you have so many 'draft' words and at first sight this seems to be inconsistent with the analysis, but there must be a reason for this. Have a look at those Draft segments and see what they are. Are they TM matches (maybe when pre-translating the files you used a lower match threshold than when analysing them?) or even machine translated segments?

The total word count is the same in both statistics so they don't seem to be inconsistent.
Collapse

VaclavCermak
VaclavCermak
Czech Republic
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
Inconsisten wordcount in Trados Studio 2017 May 31, 2019

Thomas Pfann wrote:

Because of that, the values will never match (and they don't need to!). In your particular case, it does seem odd, though, that you have so many 'draft' words and at first sight this seems to be inconsistent with the analysis, but there must be a reason for this. Have a look at those Draft segments and see what they are. Are they TM matches (maybe when pre-translating the files you used a lower match threshold than when analysing them?) or even machine translated segments?

The total word count is the same in both statistics so they don't seem to be inconsistent.

Those draft segments in Editor are 100% matches from TM.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:54
English to Russian
Not inconsistent but just different May 31, 2019

VaclavCermak wrote:

NeoAtlas wrote:

It doesn't make any sense to show two different wordcounts within the same project and it is very confusing. I don't want to bother my customers about wrong wordcounts while it seems to be the Trados fault.

Just don't look at the Editor's statistics. This information is quite useless. However it just counts different things, which does not mean inconsistency.
In Editor view, you see what they call Confirmation Statistics.
In Files view, you can see both Analysis Statistics (by default) and Confirmation Statistics (when you select it). And you can toggle between them by pressing their relevant tabs at the bottom of the Files view. They just serve different purposes.

Editor is for editing rather than counting. You translate, then confirm. Translate, confirm, etc. That is why they only have Confirmation statistics with Translated, Draft and Not Translated fields in Editor. It would be a disaster to consume the Editor's workspace for all the Analysis details that are already there in its dedicated Files view.

[Edited at 2019-05-31 22:43 GMT]

VaclavCermak
VaclavCermak
Czech Republic
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
Inconsistent wordcount in Trados Studio 2017 Jun 1, 2019

I'm not sure if my point is clear. I assume that the count of matches is made based on the TM used. There is still the one and the same TM within the project but I get two different counts of matches. If in Files it finds barely 15000 matches then why in Editor it is suddenly more than 22000 matches? What is the purpose or the logic behind it?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:54
English to Russian
Not matches, but segments Jun 1, 2019

This is because what you see in Editor is segments, either confirmed or not.
You can't see any matches, either 100% or fuzzy, in Editor.

Both segments and matches use the same unit of measurment that is 'words'. But they are different concepts in nature.

By the way, the total count of words for both Files and Editor views is exactly the same. If you sum up all numbers in Editor (Not Translated+Draft+Translated), you will get the same count as for Total in the Fil
... See more
This is because what you see in Editor is segments, either confirmed or not.
You can't see any matches, either 100% or fuzzy, in Editor.

Both segments and matches use the same unit of measurment that is 'words'. But they are different concepts in nature.

By the way, the total count of words for both Files and Editor views is exactly the same. If you sum up all numbers in Editor (Not Translated+Draft+Translated), you will get the same count as for Total in the Files view.
In Trados terminology, Translated=confirmed segments and Not Translated+Draft=not yet confirmed segments.

[Edited at 2019-06-01 11:35 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inconsisten wordcount in Trados Studio 2017

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »