Thread poster: Eleanore Strauss
Eleanore Strauss
Eleanore Strauss  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:12
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
May 31, 2019

I have been avoiding this tool because I kept hearing how difficult it was, how steep the learning curve was to get efficient.
I am experienced with MemoQ, Across. Memsource and a few proprietary tools...
Trados seems to have become the gold standard

I recently downloaded a trial version and kept hitting 'walls' with TMs and even just getting around.
Now have to make a rather quick decision not to be shut out of so many jobs/ agencies requiring Trados.

... See more
I have been avoiding this tool because I kept hearing how difficult it was, how steep the learning curve was to get efficient.
I am experienced with MemoQ, Across. Memsource and a few proprietary tools...
Trados seems to have become the gold standard

I recently downloaded a trial version and kept hitting 'walls' with TMs and even just getting around.
Now have to make a rather quick decision not to be shut out of so many jobs/ agencies requiring Trados.

Really looking for feedback fro new and practiced users.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:12
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Convert your TMs May 31, 2019

Hi Eleanore,
I found Studio easy to learn. But I know only the basics.
First you should convert your previous TMs to tmx-format. You can do this in the respective tool you had used.
In Studio you should hit the bar called Tranlation memory down left. This box is important when switching between different views. Mostly you have to switch from Project view to Files view and then to Editor view. But the editor opens automatically after you have double clicked one of the files in F
... See more
Hi Eleanore,
I found Studio easy to learn. But I know only the basics.
First you should convert your previous TMs to tmx-format. You can do this in the respective tool you had used.
In Studio you should hit the bar called Tranlation memory down left. This box is important when switching between different views. Mostly you have to switch from Project view to Files view and then to Editor view. But the editor opens automatically after you have double clicked one of the files in Files view.
In Translation memory view you must now create a Studio TM for each of your language pairs. When installing the software you have already chosen the main language pairs.
Click on New and name the TM and save it. The software suggests a location, but you can select your own.
Now after selecting the location click on Next and then on Finish. You will see an empty table with the chosen name. By the way on the left there is a list of all your Studio TMs. You can then switch between TMs on the list.
Now you only must import your respective tmx-files into Studio. I hope it will work smoothly.
Mostly agencies send you project packages. You can also create own projects with a bunch of files or translate a single file. See File menu at the top left.
When the file is open in the editor you can still go to the Project settings (the white box under the blue File-menu header. Under Translation memory and Automated translation you can select the TMs you want to use and chose a service provider for Automated translation. At the Search entry below you can select settings for the TM. Under Term bases you can chose those.

Hope I could help a bit. Ask more when you stumble onto some obstacle.

[Bearbeitet am 2019-05-31 10:37 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Always a learning curve May 31, 2019

Eleanore Strauss wrote:

It's like that whenever you are an expert in one tool and then try to use another, similar tool. For example, I'm quite comfortable with Word 2003, but I really, really, really struggle with Word 2007. And I can't even get started on LibreOffice. Similarly, I'm a power user of Wordfast Classic 6, but I can only do the most basic things in Wordfast Pro 3, and I can hardly do anything in Wordfast 5. I can do only the most basic things in Trados. Every time I try MemoQ, I give up in frustration after 15-20 minutes of strugging. Different tools are different, but it's worse if you're really good at one of them (and expect to get the same level of "performance" from others).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started with SDL Trados Studio

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »