https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/335957-concordance_in_studio_%E2%80%93_how_do_i_get_it_to_search_automatically_in_the_source.html

Concordance in Studio – How do I get it to search automatically in the source?
Thread poster: Dierk Widmann
Dierk Widmann
Dierk Widmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:39
English to German
Jul 11, 2019

I am really sorry, but this is something that I just could not solve so far and have mostly put up with.
It is probably very easily solved with me just being blind and/or stupid (take your pick), or it is a feature of Studio:

As it stands, when working in Studio, I always have to switch to the source column for F3 searches, where I highlight the phrase in question and run my concordance search.
However, the extra step of switching columns will, over a few years, add up a
... See more
I am really sorry, but this is something that I just could not solve so far and have mostly put up with.
It is probably very easily solved with me just being blind and/or stupid (take your pick), or it is a feature of Studio:

As it stands, when working in Studio, I always have to switch to the source column for F3 searches, where I highlight the phrase in question and run my concordance search.
However, the extra step of switching columns will, over a few years, add up appreciably.
Nevertheless, so far, I have not found a way of telling Studio that I want to search the source language if I highlight a text in the target column, which is driving me 'round the bend with my current project. SDLX did exactly that, which saved oodles of time.
Of course, I can change the setting in the concordance panel to "search in source text", but that will always revert to "search in target" the moment I restart work in the target column.

If anybody could point me to the correct sub-section of the settings for Studio, I would be most grateful.

Ta in advance!

[Edited at 2019-07-11 12:23 GMT]
Collapse

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Select + right clic con source column Jul 11, 2019

Hi Dierk, not sure if I understood, but for a Concordance Search, you just have to select the text in the source column, right click and the option "Concordance search" will appear.
Not sure if it is what you need.
Hope it helps.

Dierk Widmann
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Not quite what I was after Jul 11, 2019

Yeah, I fear you did not quite get me, but that is just due to my confuddled way of asking; apologies.

I want to highlight the text in the target column (which is in the source language until I overwrite it), and do my concordance search, just like I could in SDLX, as the constant jumping between columns is not very practical and costs time.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:39
German to Turkish
+ ...
Control+F3 Jul 11, 2019

I use the Control+F3 combination. But frankly, I don't remember whether it was a preset shortcut or I have set it up.

Normally, when you click F3, it performs a concordance search on the relevant column, if you are in the source segment, it searches the source text etc.

Hope that helps.

Elif

Dierk Widmann

Dierk Widmann
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
That's it Jul 11, 2019

Tesekkür ederim!

A fairly simple solution that I just did not know. Now, I just have to remember it.

[Edited at 2019-07-11 11:41 GMT]

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
See below Jul 11, 2019

Dierk Widmann wrote:

Yeah, I fear you did not quite get me, but that is just due to my confuddled way of asking; apologies.

I want to highlight the text in the target column (which is in the source language until I overwrite it), and do my concordance search, just like I could in SDLX, as the constant jumping between columns is not very practical and costs time.

Yes, jumping between columns is really time consuming. But, if you highlight the source text pasted into the source column and run the Concordance Search, you won't get any results. Concordance Search will search in the target section of your TM.
I'm afraid you will have to change to the source column, so your search will look into the source section of your TM.

Dierk Widmann
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thankfully Jul 11, 2019

Elif already provided a solution that does NOT require jumping to the source column.

[Edited at 2019-07-11 12:21 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Concordance in Studio – How do I get it to search automatically in the source?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »