Thread poster: Louise TAYLOR
Louise TAYLOR
Louise TAYLOR  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:04
French to English
Aug 21, 2019

Good morning,

Last night I submitted a return project file to my client. This morning he has informed me that the SDLPROJ file does not contain the sdlxliff file. I created a separate sdxliff file and sent that to him immediately. I am hoping that he will be able to use just that file. This does not solve the problem of what went wrong with the file.

What could have gone wrong with the return file and how can I check what is in that project before I resend it? I don't t
... See more
Good morning,

Last night I submitted a return project file to my client. This morning he has informed me that the SDLPROJ file does not contain the sdlxliff file. I created a separate sdxliff file and sent that to him immediately. I am hoping that he will be able to use just that file. This does not solve the problem of what went wrong with the file.

What could have gone wrong with the return file and how can I check what is in that project before I resend it? I don't think I can open the file as when I click on it SDL opens and tells me that I already have a file of that name. I have tried changing the file name but the same thing happens.

Many thanks for any pointers.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Louise Aug 21, 2019

Louise TAYLOR wrote:
This morning he has informed me that the SDLPROJ file does not contain the SDLXLIFF file.

The SDLPROJ file never contains the SDLXLIFF file, as far as I'm aware. The SDLPROJ file is not a package file but a settings file. It contains the settings for the project.

1. If the client initially sent you a forward package (SDLPPX), from which you created the project, you can send back either the target-language SDLXLIFF files or a return package (SDLRPX).
2. If the client initially sent you either SDLXLIFF files or files in the original format, you can send back either the target-language SDLXLIFF files or the final translated files in the original format (or both).
3. At no time should you send the SDLPROJ file.

[Edited at 2019-08-21 08:41 GMT]

Jorge Payan

Louise TAYLOR
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 21, 2019

Thank you, Samuel

I think that I had misunderstood. The client had sent the SDLXLIFF file and an SDLPROJ file. So I returned the PROJ file thinking that would have everything in it. I don't think I can create a meaningful return package from the information sent.

Thank you so much for pointing this out. This is the first time that I have had the problem of not being able to create and send an entire complete return package for my client.

Roy Oestensen

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
You need a project package to be able to create a return package Aug 21, 2019

Louise TAYLOR wrote:
I think that I had misunderstood. The client had sent the SDLXLIFF file and an SDLPROJ file. So I returned the PROJ file thinking that would have everything in it. I don't think I can create a meaningful return package from the information sent.
Thank you so much for pointing this out. This is the first time that I have had the problem of not being able to create and send an entire complete return package for my client.

It rather looks like the project manager doesn't know Studio well enough since he sent you an sdlxliff and SDLPROJ file, which is rather meaningless. After all the sdlproj file doesn't create the project structure at your end. So the blame is on the side of the PM I think.

He should have created a project package from the Home ribbon in the Projects window and sent you that instead.

Roy

Jorge Payan

Louise TAYLOR
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Roy Aug 21, 2019

Yes, I think you are correct. It was my mistake for not looking at the received files properly. At least I will not make this mistake in the future. I should have looked at the file type and not just the image.

At least I can rest assured that the mistake was not mine.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Louise Aug 21, 2019

Louise TAYLOR wrote:
The client had sent the SDLXLIFF file and an SDLPROJ file.

He either thought that sending the SDLPROJ file would allow you to import some of the project settings that he had in mind for you (it doesn't) or he grabbed it by mistake, or he doesn't quite know how Trados works and thought he'd simply send all "Trados"-like files. As you may know, when you create an SDLXLIFF file from an original source format file without creating a project first, Trados creates an SDLPROJ file along with the SDLXLIFF file automatically, so a new user may be given the impression that that file is important.

I agree with Roy that in order to enable the translator to import specific project settings, the client has to create a forward package, and he can only do that if he has the professional (agency) version of Trados. Alternatively, if he wants you to use certain non-default project settings, he should tell you what those settings are. Unfortunately, as far as I know, Trados does not have a feature whereby the client (or a fellow-translator) can export all non-default settings to a separate settings file for the translator to import on his side.

[Edited at 2019-08-21 09:28 GMT]

Louise TAYLOR

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLPROJ file does not contain the sdlxliff file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »