How to add a custom QuickInsert button in Studio 2019
Thread poster: Nicholas Knutsen
Nicholas Knutsen
Nicholas Knutsen
Norway
Local time: 15:57
Sep 19, 2019

I'm having a lot of difficulty achieving this. I read the help page and tries to add the Curly Quotes button just as it said there. First of all, I had to choose a file type, while I would rather like to add a button this is ALWAYS available.

I chose MIF (Adobe FrameMaker), since the files in my current project are MIF files. I added the custom button in my current project. I closed and reopened the project. Still there is no custom button. The buttons "Custom 0" to "Custom 9" are g
... See more
I'm having a lot of difficulty achieving this. I read the help page and tries to add the Curly Quotes button just as it said there. First of all, I had to choose a file type, while I would rather like to add a button this is ALWAYS available.

I chose MIF (Adobe FrameMaker), since the files in my current project are MIF files. I added the custom button in my current project. I closed and reopened the project. Still there is no custom button. The buttons "Custom 0" to "Custom 9" are grayed out. What am I doing wrong?
Collapse

Nicholas Knutsen
Nicholas Knutsen
Norway
TOPIC STARTER
Nobody? Oct 24, 2019

Can nobody help? Because of some types I'm reposting it:

I'm having a lot of difficulty achieving this. I read the help page and tried to add the Curly Quotes button just as it said there. First of all, I had to choose a file type, while I would rather like to add a button that is ALWAYS available.

I chose MIF (Adobe FrameMaker), since the files in my current project are MIF files. I added the custom button in my current project. I closed and reopened the project. Still
... See more
Can nobody help? Because of some types I'm reposting it:

I'm having a lot of difficulty achieving this. I read the help page and tried to add the Curly Quotes button just as it said there. First of all, I had to choose a file type, while I would rather like to add a button that is ALWAYS available.

I chose MIF (Adobe FrameMaker), since the files in my current project are MIF files. I added the custom button in my current project. I closed and reopened the project. Still there is no custom button. The buttons "Custom 0" to "Custom 9" are grayed out. What am I doing wrong?
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:57
English to Russian
You have to Oct 24, 2019

re-prepare your file. Once you are done with the Add QI process, remove your AF file and then add it again.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Also remember that Oct 24, 2019

all your changes apply either to your current project (when you start with the Project Settings button to make your changes) or to your future projects (when you start with the File>Options buttons to make your changes).
If you added a QI item to your current project (at the Project Settings level), you should not expect it in your other existing or future projects.

Nicholas Knutsen
Nicholas Knutsen
Norway
TOPIC STARTER
Getting an error message Oct 24, 2019

Stepan Konev wrote:

re-prepare your file. Once you are done with the Add QI process, remove your AF file and then add it again.

"This project already contains a source file names xxx."

I deleted the file from the project folder, but I still get that error message.

Nicholas Knutsen
Nicholas Knutsen
Norway
TOPIC STARTER
Adding it for future projects is another thing that doesn't work Oct 24, 2019

Stepan Konev wrote:

all your changes apply either to your current project (when you start with the Project Settings button to make your changes) or to your future projects (when you start with the File>Options buttons to make your changes).
If you added a QI item to your current project (at the Project Settings level), you should not expect it in your other existing or future projects.

I tried adding it under File>Options, and then created a new project. But the QuickInsert item was not there under the settings of the new project. So then I added it directly in the project. There seems to be multiple things not working here.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
This project already contains a source file names xxx. Oct 24, 2019

You should delete your file from source. Most probably you did it for the target section only. Toggle the language flag and remove your file when the source flag is on.

Nicholas Knutsen wrote:
I tried adding it under File>Options, and then created a new project. But the QuickInsert item was not there under the settings of the new project.

It sounds weird to me. I do exactly the same and it works fine. Do you still use the same file type when creating a new project? If you set a QI item for Adobe Framemaker files and then create a project with MS Word files, it won't work until you add the same QI item for MS Word file type.

[Edited at 2019-10-24 19:10 GMT]

Nicholas Knutsen
Nicholas Knutsen
Norway
TOPIC STARTER
Ok, adding QI to the project (and then deleting and re-adding files) works Oct 24, 2019

Stepan Konev wrote:
You should delete your file from source. Most probably you did it for the target section only. Toggle the language flag and remove your file when the source flag is on.

Thanks! That was the problem. I had no idea that you're not actually deleting the file from the project even though you choose "Delete file". Not very intuitive.

Stepan Konev wrote:
It sounds weird to me. I do exactly the same and it works fine. Do you still use the same file type when creating a new project? If you set a QI item for Adobe Framemaker files and then create a project with MS Word files, it won't work until you add the same QI item for MS Word file type.

[Edited at 2019-10-24 19:10 GMT]

Yes, it's the same file type. The file isn't even the point. When I create a new project, the project does not get any QI items for that file type in the actual settings.

But I found something out now. I have been adding projects from a custom template. It turns out that if I use the "Default" project template, it works. I didn't think that was the problem, because I actually already checked if the File Types settings could be set in a project template, and it turns out that they can't! At least I can't find that setting anywhere. So this means that if I want to use QIs, I have to delete my project template and create it from scratch - every time I want to change the QI items!

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Agree Oct 24, 2019

I can understand that SDL Trados Studio creates 2 files, one in the source language folder and one in the target language folder for some internal processing reason. Ok, I accept it. But why on earth deleting a file from target deletes the file from target only while on the other hand deleting a file from source deletes both files from source and target... It's fun indeed.

Dan Lucas

Nicholas Knutsen
Nicholas Knutsen
Norway
TOPIC STARTER
Editing project templates Oct 24, 2019

I found out how to do it: File > Setup > Project Template. Choose your project template and click Edit. Here is where you can add your QI items via File Types, and have them show up when you create a new project from that template.

Thanks for your help, Stepan!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to add a custom QuickInsert button in Studio 2019

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »