Studio 2019 proofreading my own translation – what is the best approach?
Thread poster: Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:37
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
Nov 1, 2019

What is the best way to proofread your own translation in Studio? So far I haven't found an efficient way to do it. Let me explain: I receive for example a file with 20 000 Words. Most of them are CM and shouldn't be touched, so I have to translate just about 20%. After the first stage of the translation I want to proofread my translation. But now all the segments have the same status. Ctrl+Enter will not move the cursor the the next untranslated segment any more. How do I review the segments I ... See more
What is the best way to proofread your own translation in Studio? So far I haven't found an efficient way to do it. Let me explain: I receive for example a file with 20 000 Words. Most of them are CM and shouldn't be touched, so I have to translate just about 20%. After the first stage of the translation I want to proofread my translation. But now all the segments have the same status. Ctrl+Enter will not move the cursor the the next untranslated segment any more. How do I review the segments I translated?

The partial solution I found was to filter to "new translated content". But even then, I have to move between the segments using the arrow keys, and in the process I have no way to know which segment I have already reviewed an which I still need to review.

How do you go about this? What is your solution?

Thank you!
Collapse

Amnon Shapira
Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 21:37
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
TM Filter Nov 1, 2019

Shalom יפתח,
The only way I know to solve your problem requires some work for preparation. The idea is to create a TM containing your translations only and than use it to proofread the file.
To do it you have to:
1. export yor TM using a date filter to a TMX file.
2. use the TMX file top create a new TM - this one should contain your work only.
3. open your working file (sdlxliff) using the new TM only.
4. now go down in your file using the down arrow, on
... See more
Shalom יפתח,
The only way I know to solve your problem requires some work for preparation. The idea is to create a TM containing your translations only and than use it to proofread the file.
To do it you have to:
1. export yor TM using a date filter to a TMX file.
2. use the TMX file top create a new TM - this one should contain your work only.
3. open your working file (sdlxliff) using the new TM only.
4. now go down in your file using the down arrow, on 80% of the segments you will see nothing in
the TM matching box, but once you'll select a segment you've translated, it will appear in the box and you will be able to read it and edit it, if necessary.
Hope this will help.
שבת שלום
Regards
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Use the "locked" status Nov 1, 2019

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel wrote:
Most of them are CM and shouldn't be touched, so I have to translate just about 20%.

Speaking from memory only...

Before you start the translation (or: sometimes you can do it afterwards as well), use the filter to show only segments that you should not touch, and then change their status to locked. You can always unlock them later. For example, filter on segments that are "CM", then mark them all and change them to "locked", then filter on segments that are 100%", then mark them all and change them to "locked", etc. In the end, filter on "unlocked", so that only unlocked segments are shown. Ctrl+Enter should then move over them. In fact, AFAIK Ctrl+Enter should move over segments that are locked anyway, even if you set the filter to show all segments.

You can also temporarily change the status of segments to anything (e.g. "rejected"), and then filter on those segments.

Erik Freitag
Arianne Farah

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:37
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Save and close your translation Nov 1, 2019

Open it in review mode.
Use the advanced display filter to filter on "interactive" and "fuzzy".
That's it.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
In addition to the above-mentioned methods Nov 1, 2019

You can filter the 'new translated content' segments as you normally do and then set the 'Confirmed' segment status to 'Edited' for all segments. Then just read and confirm them again. This is how you know whether you have read it or not: if the segment is confirmed, it is either the one you have already proofread or a repetition thereof; if the segment is not confirmed, you have not proofread it yet.

[Edited at 2019-11-02 12:17 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Confirmed must not always mean "right" Nov 4, 2019

What do you do if you see a spelling mistake in a CM or 100% segment?
I always do the proofreading in Export for review Word-file. There your segments are in different color depending on their status. New segments are white, 100% green etc. So there is no problem when checking only your newly translated segments in Word.

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 4, 2019

all for your suggestions! I will try them out and see which fits best my needs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2019 proofreading my own translation – what is the best approach?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »