What is the most convenient way of translating a Wordfast Pro 3 project if I have SDL Trados Studio?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 01:24
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 7, 2019

What is the most convenient way of translating a Wordfast Pro 3 project if I have SDL Trados Studio?

The project manager first asked me if I have Wordfast Pro 3. I have an older version of Wordfast installed. The project manager then said I could use the free online version of Wordfast.

The files I have now are 8 txml files and the correspondent original files (pptx and xlsx format). I also have two textfiles, which are the glossaries. No memory provided.

I
... See more

The project manager first asked me if I have Wordfast Pro 3. I have an older version of Wordfast installed. The project manager then said I could use the free online version of Wordfast.

The files I have now are 8 txml files and the correspondent original files (pptx and xlsx format). I also have two textfiles, which are the glossaries. No memory provided.

Is there any risk if I complete this project in SDL Trados Studio 2019 what regards compatibility?

I'm also asked to send back a transcheck report before returning the completed translated files to ensure consistency between the files.

Is it advisable to do this project in SDL Trados Studio?
Collapse

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:24
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just use the txml files as source Nov 7, 2019

You can use the TXML file definition (https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/file-type-definition-for-wordfast-txml/247/) to process these files directly in Trados. However, since they are xml files prepared by an external tool, you won't be able to mark text with special extra formatting tags (bold, italics, superscript, etc). You will be limited to the t... See more
You can use the TXML file definition (https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/file-type-definition-for-wordfast-txml/247/) to process these files directly in Trados. However, since they are xml files prepared by an external tool, you won't be able to mark text with special extra formatting tags (bold, italics, superscript, etc). You will be limited to the tags already in the document.

Also, Transcheck is specific to WordFast, so you will not be able to generate the report from within Trados. However, you might be able to translate in Trados, and then upload the translated files to the free online version of WordFast to generate the report. You can also tell the client you will work in Trados and ask if you can send a Trados verification report.

Good luck,
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Fredrik Nov 7, 2019

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
What is the most convenient way of translating [Wordfast Pro 3 files] if I have SDL Trados Studio?

At first I could not figure out what you're asking, since WFP3 does not have "projects" in the sense that other CAT tools have projects. In WFP3, you have files. You can create "projects" in WFP3 but those projects are nothing more than configurations that include paths to the various files.

I'm not sure how safe it is to translate TXML files in Trados. Try this support question and this extension. I'm not sure how safe the extension is.

But: you can install WFP3 without paying for it, and do everything with it except use a TM of more than 500 segments. So, for example, you can use WFP3 to export and import DOC bilingual review files. And you can generate TransCheck reports in WFP3. You may even be able to generate the target files (seeing that you have both the TXML files and the source files).

The WFP3 bilingual review files are much more robust than those of Trados. The target text is allowed to be empty. You can use Word 2003 or any later version. Heck, you can convert the DOC file to plain text, and then back to a table in DOC again (without formatting), and WFP3 will still import it. Just remember that a non-tag [ is written as [[ in the bilingual review DOC files.

To use bilingual review in WFP3:

1. In WFP3, on the left, click the icon that looks like an icecream scoop, called "PM Perspective". This opens a set of tools. Go to the Bilingual Export tab, and drag and drop the TXML file(s) into it, and use the "Export Review" button to create the bilingual DOC files.

2. After you've done the translation, put the DOC files in the same folder as the TXML files, then go back to the Bilingual Export tab, remove any files that are in the list, then drag and drop the DOC file(s) into it, and use the "Import review" button. The option called "merged files" is very poorly named: if you *deselect* it, it imports the translation directly into the original TXML file, but if you select it, it imports the translation into a copy of the TXML file with the word "merged" in its file name.

I also have two text files, which are the glossaries. No memory provided.

WFP3's TM format is also plain text. Do these files have dates and language codes inside them? If so, they're probably TMs, which WFP3 can export to TMX for you.

Is there any risk if I complete this project in SDL Trados Studio 2019 what regards compatibility?

If you use the bilingual review method, the risk is about 0%. Just... well... after you've imported the translation, do a search for "[" to see if any tags were incorrectly imported.

I'm also asked to send back a TransCheck report before returning the completed translated files to ensure consistency between the files.

To do Transcheck in WFP3:

In WFP3, in the PM perspective, go to the Transcheck tab, drag and drop your TXML files into it, and click the TransCheck button. It'll open an HTML file with the errors in it. You can then open the TXML files in WFP3 itself, and go to the relevant segment and fix the problem. You can click the TransCheck button as many times as you want. Unfortunately there's no way to flag false positives, so you end up with a file that still shows errors, and you must just tell the client "these are all false positives".

----

Personally, I use a set of scripts to merge TXML files into a single TXML file, then use the bilingual review feature to create a DOC file with a table, then I translate the file (i.e. put the target text in the target file), then import the bilingual review file again, and finally split the TXML file back into separate files. This is a bit hackish, so I'm just mentioning it because the opportunity arises to tout my scripts. It saves me from working on eight separate DOC files... but since (if you go the bilingual review DOC file route) you're going to be opening copies of the DOC files in Trados, you can use use the Trados feature that allows you to open all files in a single view anyway.

[Edited at 2019-11-07 20:16 GMT]

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try with SDL Trados Studio 2019, but can I create a termbase and TM from the two textfiles? Nov 7, 2019

You are right Samuel, one of the two files was the TM (almost empty), the other was the termbase.

Both the textfiles are really small. If I can't create a TM and a termbase in Studio, perhaps I could just copy and paste, or? It's not that many words.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Fredrik Nov 7, 2019

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
If I can't create a TM and a termbase in Studio, perhaps I could just copy and paste, or? It's not that many words.

I don't really know much about termbases and translation memories in Trados, sorry. I have a Trados license but I rarely use it except to open and convert files. The TXT files are tab-delimited, so you can open them in Excel. There may be ways to convert Excel files to TMs and termbases in Trados.

AFAIK WFC (which I assume you have) can convert WF TXT TMs to TMX format, which Trados can read.

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2009)
Danish to English
+ ...
Converting Excel files to TM and vice-versa Nov 7, 2019

The SDL app store includes a plug-in/stand alone app called Glossary Converter that can be used to convert an Excel file to TM format and vice-versa. I have used this for a few years now and it works very well - once you've worked out how to use it(!).

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Export as TMX from Wordfast Pro 3 in demo worked fine Nov 8, 2019

Thanks Samuel, it worked fine to do as you suggested and use WF for exporting as TMX.

The termbase was just to open in Excel. Then I could follow the normal process with Convert and Multiterm to create a termbase for Studio.

Thanks Jaime also, the SDL app was convenient so I can open the WF files in the first place in Studio.

[Edited at 2019-11-08 07:45 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »