Help with opening of translated word document
Thread poster: Cang16
Cang16
Cang16
Singapore
Nov 22, 2019

Hi All,

I am having problems in opening my word document file after saving it from Trados. The exact process:

1. Opening the return package sent by my translator and checking that all the segments had been translated.

2. Verify that the tags are fine by clicking Verify option and also manually checking tags (ctrl+Shift+H)

3. Saving Target as docx as it was the only option available.

When I open the docx file, I got an error messa
... See more
Hi All,

I am having problems in opening my word document file after saving it from Trados. The exact process:

1. Opening the return package sent by my translator and checking that all the segments had been translated.

2. Verify that the tags are fine by clicking Verify option and also manually checking tags (ctrl+Shift+H)

3. Saving Target as docx as it was the only option available.

When I open the docx file, I got an error message that says XML parsing error Location: Part: /word/document.xml, Line: 2, Column: 155662

I tried:

- amending the options and untick the word versions to make it save in doc but it is still showing docx file as the version to save.

- opening the xml file and going to the exact column. apparently it is showing a closed tag without any opening tags. I remove the closed tag but it did not fix the problem.

- checking the segments manually but did not see any differences or error tags.

I wonder if anyone can help resolve the problem.

Thank You
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:42
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Try OpenOffice Nov 22, 2019

I just had a similar problem. The docx file would not open in Word, but I was able to open it in OpenOffice Writer. I then saved it as an rtf file, which Word was able to open. Then Word resaved it as a docx file which it could reopen.

Giuliana Buscaglione

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
another idea Nov 22, 2019

Open the original Word document, see if there is some strange character or image, remove it, Save As a new document, and then use your new document to translate, allowing Trados to populate your segments from your memory.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:42
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Try opening in Wordpad Nov 23, 2019

This happened to me also, in a file with a lot of images. It happens when the XML markup surrounding a particular image is corrupted and Word is not able to process it. The problem is that the error message does not really tell you where the problematic image is. In my case I was able to open the exported file with Wordpad, in which the file opened cleanly but only up to a certain point in the file, and the rest was blank. That told me the point at which the corruption started, and I was thus ab... See more
This happened to me also, in a file with a lot of images. It happens when the XML markup surrounding a particular image is corrupted and Word is not able to process it. The problem is that the error message does not really tell you where the problematic image is. In my case I was able to open the exported file with Wordpad, in which the file opened cleanly but only up to a certain point in the file, and the rest was blank. That told me the point at which the corruption started, and I was thus able to located the offending image, remove it from the source Word file and retranslate.

[Edited at 2019-11-23 12:05 GMT]
Collapse

Cang16
Cang16
Singapore
TOPIC STARTER
Outcome in trying suggested solutions... Nov 25, 2019

Hi All, thank you so much for the kind help. I tried to open the document with other programs like libreoffice, openoffice. Generally the document will open fine but yes much of the layout, images, are gone and I am just left with the translated text. If I save it in other format and reopen in word, it will open but most of the file images and original layout is gone which only partially solves the situation.

I tried to update my copy of microsoft office as I see that there is a pa
... See more
Hi All, thank you so much for the kind help. I tried to open the document with other programs like libreoffice, openoffice. Generally the document will open fine but yes much of the layout, images, are gone and I am just left with the translated text. If I save it in other format and reopen in word, it will open but most of the file images and original layout is gone which only partially solves the situation.

I tried to update my copy of microsoft office as I see that there is a patch for this kind of xml problem for microsoft but it doesn't work. I also try to see if there are any strange image or character and play around with removing some of the layout but it only messes up the translated file further. I will try to see if I can update trados as that had been proposed to me as well.

much appreciate all the help by everyone. hopefully will be able to get this resolved. cheers
Collapse

Matteo Montagnani
Matteo Montagnani
Italy
Local time: 16:42
English to Italian
+ ...
save the document as a .doc instead of a .docx Nov 25, 2019

This happened to me when, working with a friend. He couldn't open the file for the same reason, but we sorted it by saving the file as .doc (i.e. Ms Word 97-2003) and letting Trados populate the translation.

Cang16
Cang16
Singapore
TOPIC STARTER
Trados version Nov 26, 2019

Hi Matteo, thank you for the suggestion. I am not able to save as any other format as the drop down list when i select "Save Target As..." only shows docx option. I think this could be due to my version of Trados. I tried to uncheck docx and force it to allow me to use doc but it doesn't work. I tried to use other software to save as doc and then reopen.it does work but only the text appear. all the rest of the layout is gone.

much appreciated on sharing your solutions though. chee
... See more
Hi Matteo, thank you for the suggestion. I am not able to save as any other format as the drop down list when i select "Save Target As..." only shows docx option. I think this could be due to my version of Trados. I tried to uncheck docx and force it to allow me to use doc but it doesn't work. I tried to use other software to save as doc and then reopen.it does work but only the text appear. all the rest of the layout is gone.

much appreciated on sharing your solutions though. cheers
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Cang Nov 26, 2019

Cang16 wrote:
When I open the docx file, I got an error message that says XML parsing error Location: Part: /word/document.xml, Line: 2, Column: 155662
I tried:
- opening the xml file and going to the exact column. apparently it is showing a closed tag without any opening tags.

XML error messages typically do not tell you the location of the bad tag, but the location of a good tag that is related to the bad tag. Generally, you have to look ahead from that position to see if you can find a similar tag that's in the wrong position, or a tag that is missing (and by "missing" I mean that you encounter a different tag that the program would expect to find only after another type of tag, which is not there).

What is the original file type that the project is based on? Is it also a DOCX file? It should be...

Which version of Trados are you using? We need the year, and we need to know whether it's the Freelance or the Professional version.

Cang16
Cang16
Singapore
TOPIC STARTER
Trados version Nov 26, 2019

Hi Samuel,

thank you for the further assistance. i look ahead and the tags seem to be fine. then again i am not a coder or very good with xml so it could be wrong and i do not know.

Yes the original file is DOCX. I tried to save the original file as doc and recreate it but the layout was messed up.

My Trados version is SDL Trados Studio 2017 Professional.

Thank You

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
You have misunderstood Matteo's suggestion Nov 26, 2019

Cang16 wrote:

You should open your source DOCX in MS Word and save as DOC.
Then open DOC in Studio and let it be re-translated using your existing TM.
When finished, you will be able to save the target as DOC.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with opening of translated word document

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »