Weird message in Trados 2019: "Do you want to revert the native file..."
Thread poster: Alan Halls
Alan Halls
Alan Halls  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:46
German to English
Dec 9, 2019

What on earth is this message I see when I want to open a file: "Do you want to revert the native file to sdlxliff format before opening"?? I almost never use Trados but for some jobs I have to. This message looks as if it's gong to delete something I still want - but what? If I just want to go back in and make some changes, do I say Yes or No???

Any help would be appreciated.

AH

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No-one knows Dec 9, 2019

Alan Halls wrote:
What on earth is this message I see when I want to open a file: "Do you want to revert the native file to sdlxliff format before opening"?

I don't think anybody knows. I see it often. I click "Yes" about as many times as I click "No", and I have no idea what happens when I click either Yes or No.

Alan Halls
Alan Halls  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I believe you're right! Dec 9, 2019

Thanks Samuel!

You are right.

I've just been on the Trados forum and the consensus is that nobody knows what the functions is or what happens. I clicked Yes and was able to carry on with the job, so no harm done.

The key problem with Trados has always been that it was never conceived from the start as a complete package but has grown from modules nailed together in a Prof Branestawm manner and with a "new" Studio UI stuck on top. I'm sure that's why so man
... See more
Thanks Samuel!

You are right.

I've just been on the Trados forum and the consensus is that nobody knows what the functions is or what happens. I clicked Yes and was able to carry on with the job, so no harm done.

The key problem with Trados has always been that it was never conceived from the start as a complete package but has grown from modules nailed together in a Prof Branestawm manner and with a "new" Studio UI stuck on top. I'm sure that's why so many problems occur and so many workarounds are needed.

Anyway, thanks again and ... back to work.

AH
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
What is the format of the native file you try to open? Dec 9, 2019

Alan Halls wrote:
What on earth is this message I see when I want to open a file: "Do you want to revert the native file to sdlxliff format before opening"?? I almost never use Trados but for some jobs I have to. This message looks as if it's gong to delete something I still want - but what? If I just want to go back in and make some changes, do I say Yes or No???

Not sure I can help either, but I wonder what format the native file has. Reverting a doc file to sdlxliff doesn't make much sense at all, but if it's some xliff file, it might make some sense. But the message sounds very badly expressed anyway. To revert means, after all, to change back to something, which doesn't fit the usage here. You cannot revert a native file to sdlxliff, since sdlxliff isn't the original file.

As Allan Halls indicates, it seems just disregarding the whole message may be the best policy. It would be nice if SDL could explain the meaning of it, though.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:46
French to English
+ ...
Here is what I found in five min. after asking Google... Dec 12, 2019

I quote Paul in answer to this query 3 years ago on the SDL Trados Productivity forum:

"The reason for this is most likely because you finalised the projects. If you do this you are in effect saying they are done and you don't need them anymore. If you update your TM as you work, and just save the target files as you do them then there is no need to finalise at all. However , if you do then you need to enable the project again and this message is just telling you this."
... See more
I quote Paul in answer to this query 3 years ago on the SDL Trados Productivity forum:

"The reason for this is most likely because you finalised the projects. If you do this you are in effect saying they are done and you don't need them anymore. If you update your TM as you work, and just save the target files as you do them then there is no need to finalise at all. However , if you do then you need to enable the project again and this message is just telling you this."

This is not a workaround, and learning the software is more productive than complaining.
IOW, a useful reason for this would be to simply save the files in target format and forget about the Finalize batch process altogether, because it is not needed.

HTH,
Sandra

[Edited at 2019-12-12 15:32 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Weird message in Trados 2019: "Do you want to revert the native file..."

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »