What is the best way to export a SDL Multiterm termbase for use in MemoQ?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 08:24
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 25, 2020

Should I use Multiterm Convert or a tool like Glossary Converter? I've used Glossary Converter earlier, long time ago, and it worked fine. Now it crashes as soon as I try to load the termbase files though (it's an old version of Glossary Converter).

So I have the Multiterm termbases ready-made already, just need to be able to use them in MemoQ also (I use both CAT tools).

I tried the
... See more

Should I use Multiterm Convert or a tool like Glossary Converter? I've used Glossary Converter earlier, long time ago, and it worked fine. Now it crashes as soon as I try to load the termbase files though (it's an old version of Glossary Converter).

So I have the Multiterm termbases ready-made already, just need to be able to use them in MemoQ also (I use both CAT tools).

I tried the Export function in SDL Multiterm Desktop, but I get a bit confused about the Save as, don't know which file to choose.
Collapse

Michael Beijer

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:24
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
fix Glossary Converter Jan 25, 2020

I recommend getting Glossary Converter to work, exporting to TBX, and then importing into a memoQ termbase.

Michael

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
Local time: 08:24
English to Polish
+ ...
It's simple... Mar 6, 2020

In Multiterm you open the chosen Termbase, choose Export option and Default export definitions at the top, then right-click Export on the right, choose Process and when you click Save as, simply name the file somehow in File name (e.g. My Termbase), click Next on the panel and you will produce XML file that MemoQ will upload as Termbase (how to do it, you can find online in MemoQ help)

I did it with very large IATE termbase and it worked fine.

Cheers,
K.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »