https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/343621-how_to_incorporate_a_memoq_bilingual_file_into_my_trados_2019_tm.html

How to incorporate a Memoq bilingual file into my Trados 2019 TM
Thread poster: Daniel Salinero
Daniel Salinero
Daniel Salinero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:34
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 9, 2020

I've been using Trados 2019 for about one year now, but I have so much more to learn. Today a client sent me two Memoq files (*.mqxlz) to update the Trados TM I created and have been using for this on-going project. I feel like a fish out of water. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 15:34
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
mqxlz should be imported into Studio like any other file. May 9, 2020

Daniel Salinero wrote:

I've been using Trados 2019 for about one year now, but I have so much more to learn. Today a client sent me two Memoq files (*.mqxlz) to update the Trados TM I created and have been using for this on-going project. I feel like a fish out of water. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I think what you want to do, is to create a project, and then import the mqxlz file like any other file. Studio should support this format. If I remember right, it is an xliff file.

Daniel Salinero

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Daniel May 9, 2020

Daniel Salinero wrote:
Today a client sent me two Memoq files (*.mqxlz) to update the Trados TM I created and have been using for this on-going project.

The MQXLZ file is a zip file that contains the MemoQ XLIFF files (file extension MQXLIFF) plus optionally some other files. If you're curious, you can unzip it using any zip program (I use 7-zip) if you want to access the MQXLIFF file itself. However, this is not necessary, because Trados can read MQXLZ files directly.

Trados can update its own TMs from SDLXLIFF files (and certain TM type of files) only. Even though the MQXLIFF file is a valid XLIFF file, Trados can only update its own TMs from its own XLIFF files, i.e. from SDLXLIFF files. This means that you are going to have to convert the MQXLIFF files to SDLXLIFF.

And the way to convert the MQXLIFF files to SDLXLIFF files is to create a dummy project and add the MQXLZ file (or the MQXLIFF files individually) to it. This will cause Trados to create its usual project folder structure for that project, and in the target language folder you'll find the newly created SDLXLIFF files. Optionally, open the files in the editor and make sure the segments that you want to add are marked as translated or approved.

Then, once you have your SDLXLIFF files, in Trados, go to the translation memory view (add your TM if it is not already added), and then right-click the relevant TM, select Import > Add Files (since Trados doesn't support drag-and-drop here) and then select the SDLXLIFF file.

[Edited at 2020-05-09 08:29 GMT]

Aline Amorim
Daniel Salinero
Jaime Oriard

Daniel Salinero
Daniel Salinero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:34
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 9, 2020

Thank you so much! This worked.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to incorporate a Memoq bilingual file into my Trados 2019 TM

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »