https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/344341-double_click_does_not_open_project_files_in_trados_studio.html

Double click does not open project files in Trados Studio
Thread poster: Andreas Möhn
Andreas Möhn
Andreas Möhn
Germany
Local time: 03:19
English to German
+ ...
Jun 9, 2020

I got this problem ever since I had to install MemoQ in my system on demand of a customer: When I double-click a project file in the Explorer, Trados Studio will correctly open but the project file is not loaded into the project list. I always have to manually select it from inside Studio to load it. Deletion and re-installation or upgrading from 2017 to 2019 has not helped remedy this problem. It only affects Trados Studio, any other software operates normally.

I suspect that there
... See more
I got this problem ever since I had to install MemoQ in my system on demand of a customer: When I double-click a project file in the Explorer, Trados Studio will correctly open but the project file is not loaded into the project list. I always have to manually select it from inside Studio to load it. Deletion and re-installation or upgrading from 2017 to 2019 has not helped remedy this problem. It only affects Trados Studio, any other software operates normally.

I suspect that there may be some kind of misdirected entry in the Registry that MemoQ has distorted, but I don't know where to look. Does anyone have an idea?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Antikytheros Jun 9, 2020

Antikytheros wrote:
I got this problem ever since I had to install MemoQ in my system: when I double-click a project file in the Explorer, Trados Studio will correctly open but the project file is not loaded into the project list.

Well, firstly, I had the same problem with Trados 2019 on my previous computer. I could not figure out how to fix it, so in the end I just got used to opening projects in Trados by running Trados first and then using Project > Open. I no longer have that problem with Trados, but... I now have the same problem with WFP5. This problem is/was unrelated to MemoQ.

Secondly, MemoQ is a notorious association hijacker. On both my previous computer and my current computer, after installing MemoQ, my WFP5 and generic XLIFF files' association was hijacked by MemoQ (so, when I double-click a TXLF file, it opens it in MemoQ). Uninstalling and reinstalling WFP5, or installing another XLIFF program, does not help. MemoQ is a cuckoo.

Simon Cole
Simon Cole  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:19
Member (2008)
French to English
Open from within Studio Jun 9, 2020

I agree with Samuel. Always open from within Studio, rather than double-clicking in Explorer. I new start Studio by double-clicking a source file of any kind, but then I always use Studio templates to create projects, and I 'never' have any problems.
Or better still, uninstall memoQ, but that's just a personal opinion.
When you say 'project file', do you mean a bilingual sdlxliff file or a Studio package?
I think, but I'm not 100% certain, that if you double-click, they won't
... See more
I agree with Samuel. Always open from within Studio, rather than double-clicking in Explorer. I new start Studio by double-clicking a source file of any kind, but then I always use Studio templates to create projects, and I 'never' have any problems.
Or better still, uninstall memoQ, but that's just a personal opinion.
When you say 'project file', do you mean a bilingual sdlxliff file or a Studio package?
I think, but I'm not 100% certain, that if you double-click, they won't appear in the project list in the Studio Projects view until to save the file and close it, especially with an sdlxliff file that Studio will treat as a 'single file project'.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Have you tried telling Windows explorer that the files should be opened in Studio? Jun 9, 2020

Antikytheros wrote:
I suspect that there may be some kind of misdirected entry in the Registry that MemoQ has distorted, but I don't know where to look. Does anyone have an idea?

as the others say memoQ is prone to hijack associations, I may not have the right solution. But have you tried to right click the Studio package and choose "Open in…" and then choose Studio and mark the "Use always this app to open …"? Even if that doesn't quite work, at least you should get Studio as a choice for opening the packages.

I am experiencing the same when it comes to packages for Idiom, so when I want to open the package in Idiom and not in memoQ, I right click the file and choose Idiom. But most often I prefer to work with Idiom projects in memoQ rather than Idiom, as Idiom is a lightweighter when it comes to CAT tool, and I don't at all like it. It is the agency that insists on using it. (In actual fact, I work in Dejavu, but memoQ handles Idiom files much better than Dejavu, so I am using memoQ as a intermediary. It is the same with Studio packages - I always open them in Studio, but I am doing the actual translation work in Dejavu.)

Update your version of Trados Studio 2019 Jun 10, 2020

This was a known issue with Trados Studio SR2 that has since been corrected by a recent update. It affected not just "normal" Studio projects, but project packages as well. I tried various solutions in Windows Explorer and nothing work. Didn't bother trying a registry hack, instead just opened from inside Studio. Am very happy that the problem has been corrected by SDL, so maybe try updating to the latest version.

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Repair the Trados Studio installation Jun 10, 2020

Try to repair the Trados Studio installation. To do that:
In Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features >  right click SDL Trados Studio, select Uninstall/Change and then press the Repair button in the dialog box.
Does it help?

Andreas Möhn
Andreas Möhn
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Double click does not open project files in Trados Studio Jun 10, 2020

NeoAtlas wrote:

Try to repair the Trados Studio installation. To do that:
In Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features >  right click SDL Trados Studio, select Uninstall/Change and then press the Repair button in the dialog box.
Does it help?

This I have tried already. No, it does not help, alas.

Karl Callus

Andreas Möhn
Andreas Möhn
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Use always this app Jun 10, 2020

Roy Oestensen wrote:

as the others say memoQ is prone to hijack associations, I may not have the right solution. But have you tried to right click the Studio package and choose "Open in…" and then choose Studio and mark the "Use always this app to open …"? Even if that doesn't quite work, at least you should get Studio as a choice for opening the packages.

Yes, I have tried that. When I then click a file, Studio starts correctly, but the file is not opened and does not show up in the Projects tab.

Karl Callus

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Double click does not open project files in Trados Studio

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »