Dragon and SDL Studio 2019: how to start segments with a capital letter?
Thread poster: Laurent Lagalla
Laurent Lagalla
Laurent Lagalla  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:47
English to French
+ ...
Oct 26, 2020

Hello

I'm using Dragon Home 15 with SDL Studio 2019.

I don't know why, but each time I start translating a segment, the sentence starts with a lowercase letter instead of a capital letter. I suppose this thing doesn't happen with the professional version of Dragon...I don't know.

Anyway, how can I change that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:47
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dictate it Oct 26, 2020

This is because of the type of window Trados uses. You'll have to dictate every capital letter at the start of every segment.

Laurent Lagalla
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 26, 2020

Jaime Oriard wrote:

This is because of the type of window Trados uses. You'll have to dictate every capital letter at the start of every segment.

You're right, when I say the first letter, it appears in capital.

But what about the rest of the word?

Edit: Ok, now I see your point. After translating the segment, I select the first letter and dictate it. It's still not very convenient, but there's some improvement. Thanks.

[Edited at 2020-10-26 20:43 GMT]

Franz Holzer
Franz Holzer
Greek to German
+ ...
Behavior of Trados Oct 26, 2020

Hello!
I use Trados 2019 with Dragon 11 premium.

If I dictate without paying attention to capital letter in the beginning of the segment, the lower case automatically turns into a capital when I dictate the second word. It is the some behavior if I type the words.
Therefore I think it has to do with Trados. But I dont know how. For me it works from the beginning in this way.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-10-26 21:12 GMT]

Kristina Wolf
Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:47
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Adjust setting in Trados Oct 26, 2020

This has to do with a setting in Trados.
In Trados click on the tab "file", then select "options" from the list.
Click on "Editor" to extend the list and then on "Auto Correct".
Activate the "capitalize first letter of sentences" option. Now you will not need to dictate the first letter as a capital letter.
When you dictate it writes the first word in lower case letters, but as soon as you dictate the second word, it changes it automatically.
I am attaching a scre
... See more
Activate the "capitalize first letter of sentences" option. Now you will not need to dictate the first letter as a capital letter.
When you dictate it writes the first word in lower case letters, but as soon as you dictate the second word, it changes it automatically.
I am attaching a screen shot for illustration purposes. I work with SDL Trados 2021, but from memory the location of the settings have not changed I think.

Capital letter
Collapse

Laurent Lagalla
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 27, 2020

Kristina Wolf wrote:

I am attaching a screen shot for illustration purposes. I work with SDL Trados 2021, but from memory the location of the settings have not changed I think.

Capital letter

This whole time, I thought the problem came from Dragon...

Thank you very much for your help.

Jaime Oriard
Mexico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
True Oct 27, 2020

You can use the auto-correct feature in Trados, but you will have to be careful when the segment shouldn't start with a capital letter and go back and change it back to a lower-case, as many times as necessary until it stays lower-case because Trados will continually try to auto-correct it. I find this very annoying, and that is why I don't use this feature and prefer to dictate capital letters when I want capital letters. If you want a whole word to be capital letters, just dictate that (e.g. a... See more
You can use the auto-correct feature in Trados, but you will have to be careful when the segment shouldn't start with a capital letter and go back and change it back to a lower-case, as many times as necessary until it stays lower-case because Trados will continually try to auto-correct it. I find this very annoying, and that is why I don't use this feature and prefer to dictate capital letters when I want capital letters. If you want a whole word to be capital letters, just dictate that (e.g. all caps TEST).Collapse

Laurent Lagalla
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right Oct 29, 2020

Jaime Oriard wrote:

You can use the auto-correct feature in Trados, but you will have to be careful when the segment shouldn't start with a capital letter and go back and change it back to a lower-case, as many times as necessary until it stays lower-case because Trados will continually try to auto-correct it. I find this very annoying, and that is why I don't use this feature and prefer to dictate capital letters when I want capital letters. If you want a whole word to be capital letters, just dictate that (e.g. all caps TEST).

The auto-correct feature can be annoying sometimes, that’s why I had deactivated it when I started using Trados.

Another problem I have noticed with Dragon (in the Trados environment), is that when I say “point” (period), a semicolon appears. So I have to restart Dragon to get a period when I dictate it.

Do you know where this could come from?

Jaime Oriard
Mexico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not really Oct 29, 2020

Laurent Lagalla wrote:

I don't have that problem with periods. Sometimes, after I've been dictating for a while, I start getting double spaces when I pause during the dictation. And I too have to restart Dragon to solve this problem.

Laurent Lagalla
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HELP! Nov 3, 2020

Laurent Lagalla wrote:

Another problem I have noticed with Dragon (in the Trados environment), is that when I say “point” (period), a semicolon appears. So I have to restart Dragon to get a period when I dictate it.

I reactivate this topic because I’m desperate.

Can anyone explain me why I have this problem? Now, even restarting the software doesn't work.

Thank you in advance
L.L

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:47
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Define / redefine Nov 4, 2020

Laurent Lagalla wrote:

No, I don't know where this comes from, but look at your vocabulary and see what is in there for "point". And maybe define a new phrase such as "point-point" as "." so that Dragon gets it right first time. Annoying, yes, but should be easy to work around I would have thought.

Regards,
Dan

Laurent Lagalla
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where? Nov 4, 2020

Dan Lucas wrote:

Laurent Lagalla wrote:

No, I don't know where this comes from, but look at your vocabulary and see what is in there for "point". And maybe define a new phrase such as "point-point" as "." so that Dragon gets it right first time. Annoying, yes, but should be easy to work around I would have thought.

Regards,
Dan

Hello Dan

Thank you for your reply.

Where can I find the vocabulary section?

L.L

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:47
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Manual Nov 4, 2020

Laurent Lagalla wrote:
Where can I find the vocabulary section?

Probably best for you to refer to the help files or the online manual.
Alternatively, say "show vocabulary editor" and it should appear.

Might be worth investing some time in trying to achieve a greater degree of competence in this software.

Regards,
Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon and SDL Studio 2019: how to start segments with a capital letter?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »