Why Trados Studio 2021 does not allow to use other formats of a TM (e.g. tmx) other than sdltm?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 13:53
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 30, 2020

Hi friends,

The earlier versions of Trados allowed to use the following formats to use as a TM while translating a document in addition to sdltm:

1. .tmx
2. .tmw
3. .mdb
4. .txt

I have recently began using Version 2021 and am surprised to learn that only a sdltm can be used as a TM. This is disappointing as the latest version should have additional features but it has discontinued this useful feature which the lower versions used to have
... See more
Hi friends,

The earlier versions of Trados allowed to use the following formats to use as a TM while translating a document in addition to sdltm:

1. .tmx
2. .tmw
3. .mdb
4. .txt

I have recently began using Version 2021 and am surprised to learn that only a sdltm can be used as a TM. This is disappointing as the latest version should have additional features but it has discontinued this useful feature which the lower versions used to have.

I sometimes seek the help of my friends for translation and since most of them don't have Trados, I give them the text in a two column file. The first column has the source and they provide the translation in the adjacent column. Then I edit this translated bilingual file and convert it to tmx by means of a software, i.e. Heartsome. I used to use this tmx file easily in the lower version as a TM but I am surprised to see it is now not possible to use tmx files as a TM. The new version is supposed to offer the additional features but it seems that it has instead curtailed this useful provision.

Am I missing something? What should I do in such a case? I look forward to hear your valuable suggestions.

Thanks and regards,

Chopra
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
App Oct 30, 2020

You’ll still have to import the TMX:

https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/file-type-definition-for-tmx/317/

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Chopra and @Hans Oct 30, 2020

chopra_2002 wrote:
I have recently began using Version 2021 and am surprised to learn that only an SDLTM file can be used as a TM.

I have both Trados 2019 and 2021 on my computer, and I confirm that the option "Upgrade Translation Memories" is available in Trados 2019, but not in Trados 2021.

This must have been a very useful option, since the more usual way of importing TMs (i.e. create a blank TM, right-click the TM, and then select "import") doesn't allow one to import TMW memories. How odd that Trados can/could import TMs from other programs but not its own old versions.

But I'm not sure if this "Upgrade Translation Memories" is what you're referring to, since this only creates a new SDLTM file, which you must then load into Trados, and does not actually enable Trados to use the TMW file as the TM, and I can't find any option in Trados 2019 to export SDLTM to TMW format. Can you tell us which older version of Trados allowed you to use TMW files as tranlation memories?

Then I edit this translated bilingual file and convert it to tmx by means of a software, i.e. Heartsome. I used to use this TMX file easily in the lower version [of Trados] as a TM.

Well, although the option to "Upgrade Translation Memories" is no longer available, the usual option (i.e. create a blank TM, right-click the TM, and then select "import") still works for TMX files. Sure, it requires a few more clicks, and a few more dialogs, but the end result is the same: you get an SDLTM file.

To create a new blank TM in Trados, either go to the View tab and select Translation Memories and then go to the Home tab and click New, or go to the File tab and click New > New Translation Memory.

Hans Lenting wrote:
App: https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/file-type-definition-for-tmx/317/
You’ll still have to import the TMX.

Yes, that is another option, though in my opinion a little unnecessarily complex, since after opening the TMX file as a translatable file in Trados, you'd still have to create a blank SDLTM, connect it to the project that contains the TMX file, and then add the segments to the newly created SDLTM translation memory. Certainly useful if Chopra wants to do a few more edits to the file before importing it. But one can import the segments from a TMX file directly into any SDLTM file, including a new blank one.

[Edited at 2020-10-30 08:07 GMT]

Rajan Chopra

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Merge Oct 30, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:
App: https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/file-type-definition-for-tmx/317/
You’ll still have to import the TMX.

Yes, that is another option, though in my opinion a little unnecessarily complex, since after opening the TMX file as a translatable file in Trados, you'd still have to create a blank SDLTM, connect it to the project that contains the TMX file, and then add the segments to the newly created SDLTM translation memory.

This will allow her to commit the TMX project (after editing) directly to the main project TM.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Version 2015 Oct 30, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Can you tell us which older version of Trados allowed you to use TMW files as translation memories?

Trados Studio version 2015 used to support 4 other formats including TMW for this purpose. And one could directly use tmx as a TM instead of creating a blank TM file and then importing tmx into it.

Angie Garbarino

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Not entirely correct... Oct 30, 2020

chopra_2002 wrote:

.... one could directly use tmx as a TM instead of creating a blank TM file and then importing tmx into it.

This has never been possible. You could select the TMX, but then Studio ran a quick upgrade and converted this into an SDLTM. Exactly the same process as creating a blank TM and importing into it... only it was automated to make it easier.

This and all the other ways are still possible today if you install the power pack for 2021 from the appstore.

We don't really monitor ProZ these days so it might make sense to ask your questions in the SDL Community as well as in here if you're trying to resolve something that doesn't work for you.

Regards

Paul.

Stepan Konev
Heinrich Pesch

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Only for translation... Oct 30, 2020

Hans Lenting wrote:

You’ll still have to import the TMX:

https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/file-type-definition-for-tmx/317/

This app is only for using a TMX as a translatable file. It has nothing to do with using a TMX as a TM.

Regards

Paul.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tmx Oct 30, 2020

SDL Community wrote:

This has never been possible. You could select the TMX, but then Studio ran a quick upgrade and converted this into an SDLTM. Exactly the same process as creating a blank TM and importing into it... only it was automated to make it easier.

Paul.

Yes, this is correct. What I meant was one did not have the need to create a blank tm and then import tmx into it. The process was automatic and convenient.

Angie Garbarino

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
SDL Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack Oct 30, 2020

SDL Community wrote:
This and all the other ways are still possible today if you install the Power Pack for 2021 from the AppStore.

Thanks, Paul. FWIW, it's URL is:
https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/sdl-trados-compatibility-and-migration-power-pack/1101/

Arianne Farah

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:23
Member (2008)
English to French
Thank you for the link! Oct 30, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

SDL Community wrote:
This and all the other ways are still possible today if you install the Power Pack for 2021 from the AppStore.

Thanks, Paul. FWIW, it's URL is:
https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/sdl-trados-compatibility-and-migration-power-pack/1101/

I just updated Studio.

First impressions are fine so far - I find that the uplift update is much quicker and that Studio doesn't just shut down unexpectedly as much, but it's the first days, so we'll see. I also like that when you open several files as sdlxliff rather than as a project they take the TM preferences of the first one rather than making you rechoose everything.

I had noticed you couldn't automatically convert a .tmx and that was my biggest annoyance with the new version since several agencies still just send me the source and .tmx rather than a full fledged project. But glad there's a quick fix

Arianne

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:23
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Just curious Oct 30, 2020

SDL Community wrote:

We don't really monitor ProZ these days so it might make sense to ask your questions in the SDL Community as well as in here if you're trying to resolve something that doesn't work for you.

Regards

Paul.

What do you guys monitor these days? Twitter?

yam2u

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
What we monitor... Oct 30, 2020

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
What do you guys monitor these days? Twitter?

We have our own community, completely free and pretty busy. So we obviously monitor that. You get responses from our support teams, developers, product management... so it's a very effective place to post because it's the only place where the right people will hear you. The shortcut to the most appropriate forum for ProZ users is probably this:

http://xl8.one

You'll find there is a link to this community in Studio in the Help ribbon as well, and even a small integration (in the 2021 version) to make it really simple to post into the correct place.

But we have forums for a lot of things across the entre SDL suite of technology.

We also monitor all social channels (twitter included of course)... and try to push people towards our community if they have questions because it's pretty hard to respond in twitter!

Regards

Paul.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How does it work? Nov 1, 2020

I have downloaded and installed the abovementioned software/app but as and when I try to choose the tmx file as a TM, I am not shown the option of picking a tmx file and only a sdltm can be chosen.

Am I missing something? I look forward to your valuable suggestion.

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why Trados Studio 2021 does not allow to use other formats of a TM (e.g. tmx) other than sdltm?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »