Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:36
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 4, 2020

Last week I paid for an update for Studio Freelance 2021 from 2017 and downloaded the file. After I installed the program I went to my account but there is no license for 2021, only for 2017 and previous versions. What is wrong? I searched in the SDL support forum but could not find any hint to my situation.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:36
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
As far as I understand it..... Nov 4, 2020

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Last week I paid for an update for Studio Freelance 2021 from 2017 and downloaded the file. After I installed the program I went to my account but there is no license for 2021, only for 2017 and previous versions. What is wrong? I searched in the SDL support forum but could not find any hint to my situation.

The licence stays the same, so your 2017 licence = (also) your 2021 licence. You will only loose the possibility to download 2017 again.

[Edited at 2020-11-05 09:25 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
License code for 2017 is not accepted Nov 5, 2020

I tried already to use the license code for 2017, but this is not ok. Should I return the license for 2017 before I can use it on 2021? I started a project on the old software and don't want to interfere with that. Can I run both versions on the same machine?

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Heinrich Nov 5, 2020

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I tried already to use the license code for 2017, but this is not ok. Should I return the license for 2017 before I can use it on 2021? I started a project on the old software and don't want to interfere with that. Can I run both versions on the same machine?

About the licence: Then I don't know. I would suggest to contact SDL.

About running two versions on one machine: Yes, that is possible, but please keep in mind that as soon you have activated 2021, you can't reinstall 2017 anymore!

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
You need to deactivate the old license Nov 5, 2020

You need to deactivate the old license first. Scroll down to the end of this page to see how it works: https://www.sdltrados.com/store/upgrades.html I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you can't use both versions on the same machine, though.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:36
English to Russian
Post your question at the SDL Licensing and Installation forum Nov 5, 2020

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/licensing

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Sorry Nov 5, 2020

I think I'm mistaken. This is what I found on SDL's website:

If your original license was for Studio 2015/2017 Professional and you want to retain both versions, you should consider purchasing a full license instead of an upgrade. For Studio 2015/2017 Freelance licenses, you can continue to run the Studio 2015/2017 application if you do not deactivate your license after upgrading. Your previous Studio 2015/2017 license will be marked as inactive in your SDL Account and w... See more
I think I'm mistaken. This is what I found on SDL's website:

If your original license was for Studio 2015/2017 Professional and you want to retain both versions, you should consider purchasing a full license instead of an upgrade. For Studio 2015/2017 Freelance licenses, you can continue to run the Studio 2015/2017 application if you do not deactivate your license after upgrading. Your previous Studio 2015/2017 license will be marked as inactive in your SDL Account and will be automatically removed if, for any reason, the license is deactivated.

https://www.sdltrados.com/products/trados-studio/faq.html
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:36
English to Russian
Upgrade license from 2017 to 2021 but do not deactivate 2017 Nov 5, 2020

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

To get a new license for 2021, you need to upgrade your old license. There is a button in your account that upgrades the license. Once upgraded, your SDL Trados Studio 2017 will still work until you deactivate or uninstall it. That means you can upgrade your license and then activate the 2021 version while keeping your 2017 version activated. However you also can proceed with your project using the 2021 version. You don't need any major preparation for that.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now it worked Nov 6, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

To get a new license for 2021, you need to upgrade your old license. There is a button in your account that upgrades the license. Once upgraded, your SDL Trados Studio 2017 will still work until you deactivate or uninstall it. That means you can upgrade your license and then activate the 2021 version while keeping your 2017 version activated. However you also can proceed with your project using the 2021 version. You don't need any major preparation for that.

Thank you Stepan and others. Now my 2021 is licensed. As a Trados user for more than 15 years I expected to find a new license after I bought the new version, but now everything was different.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No license to be found

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »