Leaving the comments or notes untranslated while translating a MS Powerpoint file by Trados
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 23:57
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Feb 21, 2021

Hi experts,

I have SDL Trados 2021. One of my clients sent me a MS Powerpoint file and told me not to translate the comments underneath each and every slide whereas Trados does not differentiate between the text present in the slides and that which is present in the comments and it shows both the texts. So, I had no other option but to open both the files simultaneously and then refer to each and every slide to know about the text under comments and then paste the corresponding te
... See more
Hi experts,

I have SDL Trados 2021. One of my clients sent me a MS Powerpoint file and told me not to translate the comments underneath each and every slide whereas Trados does not differentiate between the text present in the slides and that which is present in the comments and it shows both the texts. So, I had no other option but to open both the files simultaneously and then refer to each and every slide to know about the text under comments and then paste the corresponding text from source segment to the target segment in the sdlxliff file. It kills a lot of time.

Does a method exist at all to leave the comments text untranslated?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

[Edited at 2021-02-21 08:45 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:27
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Being ppt and not excel Feb 21, 2021

chopra_2002 wrote:

Hi experts,

I have SDL Trados 2021. One of my clients sent me a MS Excel file and told me not to translate the comments underneath each and every slide whereas Trados does not differentiate between the text present in the slides and that which is present in the comments and it shows both the texts. So, I had no other option but to open both the files simultaneously and then refer to each and every slide to know about the text under comments and then paste the corresponding text from source segment to the target segment in the sdlxliff file. It kills a lot of time.

Does a method exist at all to leave the comments text untranslated?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

Since it is not excel, my suggestion is not valid. Deleted

[Edited at 2021-02-21 08:49 GMT]

Rajan Chopra

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:27
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Are you sure? Feb 21, 2021

chopra_2002 wrote:
One of my clients sent me a MS Excel file and told me not to translate the comments underneath each and every slide

Excel does slides? I had this vague idea that it was PowerPoint that uses slides?

Dan

Rajan Chopra
Angie Garbarino

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, my mistake. Feb 21, 2021

You are right. I meant MS Powerpoint and not MS Excel. I have corrected it.

Dan Lucas wrote:

chopra_2002 wrote:
One of my clients sent me a MS Excel file and told me not to translate the comments underneath each and every slide

Excel does slides? I had this vague idea that it was PowerPoint that uses slides?

Dan

mona elshazly
mona elshazly  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 20:27
Member (2016)
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
see this Feb 21, 2021

See if could follow the contrary steps stated here:
https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/general/21543/translation-of-the-notes-in-a-powerpoint

Rajan Chopra

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the link Feb 21, 2021

It seems like that I have to untick the Comments and Notes in order to exclude them from the text to be translated. How (From where) can I access these options?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

mona elshazly
mona elshazly  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 20:27
Member (2016)
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
options Feb 21, 2021

I am not quite sure, but see options in the program
chopra_2002 wrote:

It seems like that I have to untick the Comments and Notes in order to exclude them from the text to be translated. How (From where) can I access these options?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:27
English to Russian
File Types common settings for PPT Feb 21, 2021

Options for future projects or Project Settings for existing projects

Rajan Chopra

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for this screenshot Feb 21, 2021

Hi Stepan

I am indebted to you for this image which makes each and everything so clear.

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

Stepan Konev wrote:

Options for future projects or Project Settings for existing projects

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Leaving the comments or notes untranslated while translating a MS Powerpoint file by Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »