How can I get a tm from TRADOS 5.0 into TRADOS 3.1?
Thread poster: Elena Miguel
Elena Miguel
Elena Miguel  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 28, 2002

Just in case somebody has ever had the same problem and knows how to solve it.

I\'ve received from a client a TM created with Trados 5.0 and I\'ve Trados 3.1.

Since I could not open it (it\'s not possible to open a TM created in 5.0 with 3.1., isn\'t it???), the client also sent me a .txt file to import it into a void TM created in Trados 3.1.

The problem is the following: when I import the .txt file into the new (empty) TM I\'ve just created, the proces
... See more
Just in case somebody has ever had the same problem and knows how to solve it.

I\'ve received from a client a TM created with Trados 5.0 and I\'ve Trados 3.1.

Since I could not open it (it\'s not possible to open a TM created in 5.0 with 3.1., isn\'t it???), the client also sent me a .txt file to import it into a void TM created in Trados 3.1.

The problem is the following: when I import the .txt file into the new (empty) TM I\'ve just created, the process seems to run OK but the TU (translation units) are not added into the TM. So I get 1.000 TU read but 0 TU added.

Quite extrange, but I don\'t know what else I can do.

Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check the languages Aug 28, 2002

This process can be sensitive to the languages you use. You need to make sure that your empty TM is set up using exactly the same language variations (for instance, UK English vs. US English). If there is a difference, your TM simply does not recognise the translation units.

From a technical perspective, the language direction is not an issue (albeit from a linguistic point of view, it is...). IOW: you can import a .txt file created using a US English>Spanish TM into a Spani
... See more
This process can be sensitive to the languages you use. You need to make sure that your empty TM is set up using exactly the same language variations (for instance, UK English vs. US English). If there is a difference, your TM simply does not recognise the translation units.

From a technical perspective, the language direction is not an issue (albeit from a linguistic point of view, it is...). IOW: you can import a .txt file created using a US English>Spanish TM into a Spanish>US English TM, but the process will fail if you\'re trying to import into a Spanish>UK English TM.
Collapse

Elena Miguel
Elena Miguel  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!!! Aug 28, 2002

You\'ve saved me from losing one of my main clients.

The problem was exactly the \"kind\" of Spanish and the \"kind\" of English used in the .txt file and in the new TM I\'ve created. It\'s OK now.

Thank you once more.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I get a tm from TRADOS 5.0 into TRADOS 3.1?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »