Urgent: Editing Trados TM - help with apostrophes.
Thread poster: Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:08
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 30, 2002

Hi,

I was requested to edit a Trados TM using the Concordance - Edit function. I was also requested to change the form of some apostrophes in the TM. Could anybody explain me the difference between

vano d\\rquote inserimento dei CD

and

vano d’inserimento dei CD

(as it appears in the exported text file)?

Thanx in advance

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-30 17:36 ]

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Just a guess Nov 30, 2002

Hi, Massimo,

I have not yet used Trados; I use Star Transit and Deja Vu instead, so I can just guess.

Quotation marks - double or single - are language specific: whether they are upstairs or downstairs, whether they are commas or inverted commas - or even completely different signs, like > in French.

To overcome this problem, many word-processors (Word, LaTex, etc) have built-in knowledge.

The other way - which would work in some, eg LaTeX, is to put a co
... See more
Hi, Massimo,

I have not yet used Trados; I use Star Transit and Deja Vu instead, so I can just guess.

Quotation marks - double or single - are language specific: whether they are upstairs or downstairs, whether they are commas or inverted commas - or even completely different signs, like > in French.

To overcome this problem, many word-processors (Word, LaTex, etc) have built-in knowledge.

The other way - which would work in some, eg LaTeX, is to put a command in the preamble, instructing the program to interpret each

\\rquote the way you want.

Therefore: if you input \', \' comes out.

If you input \\rquote, the pre-defined thing comes out. Which may be \', or \", or \"\"\" - or whatever you wish.

It is easily possible that in your case there is no difference in the output.

Hope I could help - but I am sure confirmation from a Trados expert would be reassuring.
Collapse

Ilde Grimaldi
Ilde Grimaldi  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
no difference Dec 1, 2002

ciao

I\'m never heard about this kind of work, but I often have to change this \"convertions\" of Trados, when I want to use a Trados memory with a different CAT tool (DéjaVu often reads this \\xxx as codes). So:

and

are exactely the same, e.g. Trados will convert ’ in \\rquote when you export the memory or if you enter the segment \"edit\" function.
... See more
ciao

I\'m never heard about this kind of work, but I often have to change this \"convertions\" of Trados, when I want to use a Trados memory with a different CAT tool (DéjaVu often reads this \\xxx as codes). So:

and

are exactely the same, e.g. Trados will convert ’ in \\rquote when you export the memory or if you enter the segment \"edit\" function.

If instead you use \" \' \" (straight apostrophe) this convertion does not happen, so I think you should have been required to change ’ (in the text) or \\rquote (in the memory) with \'

Attenzione: sometimes on screen they seam the same, e.g. you could be sure to use \', but for example, in you use the Print Preview (zoom in) you see the difference.

It can be set in Tools->Autocorrect (??Correzione automatica)->AutoFormat as you type (Formattazione automatica durante la digitazione) UNCHECK Replace Straight Quotes with Smart Quotes (Virgolette semplici con virgolette inglesi).

This applies to new text typed, for the old text you still need to search replace ’ with \'

ciao

Ilde
Collapse

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to Attila and Ilde for the useful info.... Dec 1, 2002

...and for the prompt reply. I was double checking my editing work on the text file. I know that these kind of marks appears in the same way, but for the Analyse function of Trados, they could be treated in different way. The customer wanted to replace straights with smarts, to obtain a better leverage (for him) in Trados.

Ciao

M.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent: Editing Trados TM - help with apostrophes.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »