Trados 5.5 changes target segment font
Thread poster: Frank Bremster
Frank Bremster
Frank Bremster  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:48
German
+ ...
Jan 30, 2003

I am using Trados 5.5 FL, without workspace activated (the rest is Win 98SE-GE, Office 2000).

Every so often (let\'s say every 5th or 6th match) Trados replaces the match in a font called Batang, which does not have all signs. When I close this match without saving it and then reopen it, the target is diplayed as normal (10pt, New Times Roman).

I did not changed any settings, dots, etc.

I am using Trados now for almost a year (inc.
... See more
I am using Trados 5.5 FL, without workspace activated (the rest is Win 98SE-GE, Office 2000).

Every so often (let\'s say every 5th or 6th match) Trados replaces the match in a font called Batang, which does not have all signs. When I close this match without saving it and then reopen it, the target is diplayed as normal (10pt, New Times Roman).

I did not changed any settings, dots, etc.

I am using Trados now for almost a year (inc. all bells and whistles).

The strange thing is that it only happens once in a while, and after reopening it is OK.

I would love to hear the professionals\' experience/suggestions, as it really starts to bother me.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:48
English to German
+ ...
Check the templates Jan 30, 2003

Hi Frank,

I suspect that the template format used for the paragraph differs from the actual character formatting used.

Check what font is prescribed in the template that appears when clicking on the paragraph - most of the time, this is caused by bad authoring of the Word document.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Ralf is right Jan 30, 2003

But I experience the same problem with messed polish characters.

In a text where the only template is Standard, and it is set to Times New Roman, because the whole document has NO formating at all - export form Frame/Pagemaker, TRADOS keeps reformating the text in Word to MS Mincho or Batang. The effect is, that my extended characters get lost. However, they are correct stored in the TM.

Even the people in Stuttgart do not know the soultion for this problem by now.

... See more
But I experience the same problem with messed polish characters.

In a text where the only template is Standard, and it is set to Times New Roman, because the whole document has NO formating at all - export form Frame/Pagemaker, TRADOS keeps reformating the text in Word to MS Mincho or Batang. The effect is, that my extended characters get lost. However, they are correct stored in the TM.

Even the people in Stuttgart do not know the soultion for this problem by now.

Workbench saves information about fonts in the translation units. But according to my experience, this causes a lot of problems. After deleting all font information from a TU it is correct displayed in Word again.

Very strange behaviuor of Workbench.

Jerzy
Collapse

Frank Bremster
German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But standard is the same Jan 30, 2003

Thanks for the comments.

I have checked the setting.

It\'s set to standard, with New Times Roman font, just like the normal one. There is absolutely no difference between the on displayed in Batang (against the setting) and the one displayed in NTR.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
That´s what I mean Jan 30, 2003

Standard is proper set, the languages are set properly too, but WB continues to reformat to double-byte fonts (which both Batang and MS Mincho are).

IMHO it is time for Trados to do something against.

Report this to Stuttgart, I did this repeatedly since December last year, and even before.

Jerzy

Frank Bremster
German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 30, 2003

I will report this, as it does not make any sense and is really bothering.

This is what I have received:

(I don\'t know why in German, as I posted it in English):

Sehr geehrter Herr Bremster,

vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht. In der Tat handelt es sich bei dem berichteten Verhalten um ein bekanntes Phänomen, das auch gefixt werden soll. Allerdings genießt es gegenüber anderen Bugs insofern eine etwas niedrigere Priorität
... See more
I will report this, as it does not make any sense and is really bothering.

This is what I have received:

(I don\'t know why in German, as I posted it in English):

Sehr geehrter Herr Bremster,

vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht. In der Tat handelt es sich bei dem berichteten Verhalten um ein bekanntes Phänomen, das auch gefixt werden soll. Allerdings genießt es gegenüber anderen Bugs insofern eine etwas niedrigere Priorität, als daß die Schriftgröße der Tags in der RTF-Datei ja keine Rolle spielt, da sie das Layout der Zieldatei nicht beeinflußt. Diese Informationen sind ja eben in den internen/externen Tags geschützt und werden durch derartige Veränderungen nicht beeinflußt. Die Formatierung der RTF-Datei spielt ja im Grunde genommen keine Rolle, was für Sie bedeutet, dass Sie die fälschlicherweise in größere Schrit dargestellten Textstellen NICHT manuell nachformatieren müssen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus Stuttgart

In English: We know the problem, but consider it as not very important to fix it right now.

I will not comment on this one.

[ This Message was edited byn2003-01-31 17:41]

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-31 17:42]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 5.5 changes target segment font

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »