Trados automatically resizes placeholders - can I specify their size?
Thread poster: Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:59
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 13, 2003

Hi,

I\'m working on a series of documents with placeholders in them for icons, screenshots etc. When I process the document in Trados, it automatically resizes the placeholders - usually so they are enormous.

Is there anyway I can prevent this from happening or specify how big Trados can resize them? It\'s not a major problem, but a slight inconvenience to have to go back through the text and resize all the placeholders.

Thanks in ad
... See more
Hi,

I\'m working on a series of documents with placeholders in them for icons, screenshots etc. When I process the document in Trados, it automatically resizes the placeholders - usually so they are enormous.

Is there anyway I can prevent this from happening or specify how big Trados can resize them? It\'s not a major problem, but a slight inconvenience to have to go back through the text and resize all the placeholders.

Thanks in advance,

Joanne
Collapse

Andrea Torre
Andrea Torre  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:59
Member (2004)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Joanne Feb 13, 2003

The same happened to me and having to resize the boxes is really time wasting !!

This subject was already posted here and one of our collegues (sorry I don\'t remember his name) provide us with an answer. I saved his proposal but I haven\'t used it yet. Here it is:

--------------------------

Use a Word macro for clean-up.

With ALT+F8 you can get to the macro selection screen. Seachr for \"tw4winC
... See more
The same happened to me and having to resize the boxes is really time wasting !!

This subject was already posted here and one of our collegues (sorry I don\'t remember his name) provide us with an answer. I saved his proposal but I haven\'t used it yet. Here it is:

--------------------------

Use a Word macro for clean-up.

With ALT+F8 you can get to the macro selection screen. Seachr for \"tw4winClean.Main\" and then choose it and let it run.

Before clean-up you must update all changed translation units in your TRADOS TM, as they will not be updated during the clean-up in Word. But all (or nearly all) graphics will remain OK.

The graphics get damaged for many reasons. The most important is the conversion to RTF, done during clean-up with Trados. The second important is, that the graphics are not embedded in Word, but just only linked and you do not have the graphics in your PC. But Trados obviously tries to actualize the links - and messes graphics.

I do not clean any files with Workbench anymore - cleaning in Word is faster and makes not so much problems.

--------------------

I hope it works because I may use it very soon !

Andrea

Collapse

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:59
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Feb 13, 2003

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your information (I\'d spent ages searching the forums for this, but I couldn\'t find it).

My problem with the graphics becoming oversized happens when the text is processed with Trados ie. BEFORE I clean up the file.

So it doesn\'t matter how I clean the file, because either way the graphics become huge when they are Trados-ed.

Looks like we may still have to resize manually unless someon
... See more
Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your information (I\'d spent ages searching the forums for this, but I couldn\'t find it).

My problem with the graphics becoming oversized happens when the text is processed with Trados ie. BEFORE I clean up the file.

So it doesn\'t matter how I clean the file, because either way the graphics become huge when they are Trados-ed.

Looks like we may still have to resize manually unless someone knows a way to prevent this happening...

Thanks again,

Joanne
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados automatically resizes placeholders - can I specify their size?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »