Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
PDF Converter
Thread poster: Stefano Nicola D'Amato (X)
Stefano Nicola D'Amato (X)
Stefano Nicola D'Amato (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2011

Just looking to see if anyone has valuable feedback to share.

For the last two weeks I have been evaluating PDF Converter software.

In my opinion, ABBYY FineReader 10 seems to work the best.
As I own a MAC, I tried the ABBYY FineReader for Mac which is cheaper but it doesn't seem to have as many options as the Windows version.

Before I purchase a license, can anyone give me an opinion or feedback about ABBYY FineReader 10?

Are there any o
... See more

As I own a MAC, I tried the ABBYY FineReader for Mac which is cheaper but it doesn't seem to have as many options as the Windows version.

Before I purchase a license, can anyone give me an opinion or feedback about ABBYY FineReader 10?

Are there any other PDF converters out there that you like better and I would like to suggest?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:46
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What kind of PDF files? Jul 14, 2011

What kind of PDF files do you work with most often?

Are they scanned pages or more object-based PDF files, i.e. PDF files in which you can select pieces of the text with the mouse?

For the latter, I strongly recommend ICENI InFix. Not perfect, of course (no PDF converter tool is perfect), but quite handy with object-based PDF files. You can even export the text to an XML file you can translate with a CAT tool and then importa again.

For scanned pages in a P
... See more
What kind of PDF files do you work with most often?

Are they scanned pages or more object-based PDF files, i.e. PDF files in which you can select pieces of the text with the mouse?

For the latter, I strongly recommend ICENI InFix. Not perfect, of course (no PDF converter tool is perfect), but quite handy with object-based PDF files. You can even export the text to an XML file you can translate with a CAT tool and then importa again.

For scanned pages in a PDF, ABBYY FineReader is quite good I reckon. Not perfect either, but reasonably good.
Collapse

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 14, 2011

Thank you, Tomás, for your suggestion.
I have downloaded the trial and will see how it works. I haven't previously heard of this software, so it's good to ask for ideas. There are just too many products out there that all promise to be the best.

I'm just getting started seriously in translation (I've done it for years on the side). A lot of documents that were sent to me were PDF files, mainly official documents, and they are scanned pages but I'd venture to say they are main
... See more
Thank you, Tomás, for your suggestion.
I have downloaded the trial and will see how it works. I haven't previously heard of this software, so it's good to ask for ideas. There are just too many products out there that all promise to be the best.

I'm just getting started seriously in translation (I've done it for years on the side). A lot of documents that were sent to me were PDF files, mainly official documents, and they are scanned pages but I'd venture to say they are mainly object based.

I did a test with a scanned pdf file of a birth certificate vs. a scanned pdf file of text only. Of course the quality of the latter was much better.

If InFix can handle both, and does a better job with object-based PDF files, it seems worthwhile to try it out.

ABBYY FineReader 10.0 costs USD 399 but is on sale for USD 169 until July 19th.

InFix (Professional) costs USD 159, so they are comparable in price.

Thanks again!
Collapse

Radic Vojislav
Radic Vojislav
German to Serbian
PDF to Word free Jul 14, 2011

link:
http://www.pdfonline.com/pdf-to-word-converter/

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Attention please. Jul 14, 2011

Stefano D'Amato wrote:
ABBYY FineReader 10.0 costs USD 399 but is on sale for USD 169 until July 19th.
InFix (Professional) costs USD 159, so they are comparable in price.

Just to avoid wrong expectations here:

ABBYY will read both scanned pages and object-based PDF files.

InFix is just for object-based stuff, but I recommend it because it does that better than ABBYY.

Radic Vojislav
Radic Vojislav
German to Serbian
PDF > Word Jul 15, 2011

ABBYY FineReader 9.0

or

ABBYY PDF Transformer 3.0

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jimmy Jul 21, 2011

I'll check out the software you are recommending.

jimmytech (X)
jimmytech (X)
PDF Converter Jul 26, 2011

Stefano D'Amato wrote:

I'll check out the software you are recommending.

My pleasure.

Hope it works for you. If you have any question related to this software feel free to ask because i used all of its cool features.

Thanks

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
But does it convert PDF to word? Jul 26, 2011

jimmytech wrote:

Stefano D'Amato wrote:

Are there any other PDF converters out there that you like better and I would like to suggest?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards!

I will recommend you one of the best PDF software that can create, view and edit any PDF file. Classic PDF converter can convert Doc to PDF, Excelsheet to PDF and PowerPoint to PDF. Conversion feature also allow you to convert PDF to Doc and PDF to image file format like jpg, bmp, tiff and png.

Classic PDF editor have almost all important functions of Adobe Acrobat PDF editor. I am using PDF editor for post few months and it works good. It also affordable. However, you may try other software's.

To read more about Classic PDF Google it with "classic pdf editor".

Thanks

I looked and it looks really good (and affordable). But does it convert PDF files to Word or does it only convert files to PDF?

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Writeaway, this answer is a bit fuzzy Jul 26, 2011

I downloaded Classic PDF Editor and tried to convert a scanned PDF (a birth certificate) into a Word document. The software performs this function but all it basically does is create a Word document with an uneditable jpg image.

I contacted their customer support and they told me that no software can do this. This is not true. I converted the same PDF file with ABBYY FineReader 10.0 and it produced an editable Word document.

I am a bit skeptical about the Classic PDF Ed
... See more
I downloaded Classic PDF Editor and tried to convert a scanned PDF (a birth certificate) into a Word document. The software performs this function but all it basically does is create a Word document with an uneditable jpg image.

I contacted their customer support and they told me that no software can do this. This is not true. I converted the same PDF file with ABBYY FineReader 10.0 and it produced an editable Word document.

I am a bit skeptical about the Classic PDF Editor.
Collapse

Wolf Kux
Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:46
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
a very, very much cheaper PDF -> DOC converter is ... Jul 26, 2011

... here:

https://www.acrobat.com/exportpdf/en/convert-pdf-to-word.html?trackingid=irrpu&lang=br

only US$19.99 /year. Yes, per year!

It is a service from Acrobat. In my opinion, there are 2 drawbacks on it:

a) they send the bill to your credit card every year. I do not know on how to stop thi
... See more
... here:

https://www.acrobat.com/exportpdf/en/convert-pdf-to-word.html?trackingid=irrpu&lang=br

only US$19.99 /year. Yes, per year!

It is a service from Acrobat. In my opinion, there are 2 drawbacks on it:

a) they send the bill to your credit card every year. I do not know on how to stop this;

b) They do not tell what they do with your data.

Such service may be called as something like cloud services.

Regards.
Collapse

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Wolf Kux Jul 26, 2011

I tried it out and was very impressed!

Thanks for the tip!

Hélène Kinosky (X)
Hélène Kinosky (X)
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Even cheaper Jul 26, 2011

In fact, it is free:

Best PDF converter

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Additional info about Adobe ExportPDF Jul 27, 2011

I called Adobe Customer Support to inquire about this subscription. There is a 30-day guarantee where you can get a full refund if you request it within 30 days of purchase.

Also, there is a way to turn off the auto-renew feature. I managed to do it. Just go into your Adobe account and under my subscriptions you can edit the auto-renew feature. I successfully turned it off.

It definitely seems like a good, inexpensive option for converting PDFs to editable Word document
... See more
I called Adobe Customer Support to inquire about this subscription. There is a 30-day guarantee where you can get a full refund if you request it within 30 days of purchase.

Also, there is a way to turn off the auto-renew feature. I managed to do it. Just go into your Adobe account and under my subscriptions you can edit the auto-renew feature. I successfully turned it off.

It definitely seems like a good, inexpensive option for converting PDFs to editable Word documents!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF Converter

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »