Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Who of you have used data recovery services (for dead hard drives)?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:09
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Simple and easy DIY hard drive recovery Nov 22, 2013

In the ancient days of the PC-XT, when a 40 MB (yes, megabytes) hard drive cost USD 400, I had one die on me, and bought another. Then this new one had trouble, and incidentally I discovered a program named SpinRite, then in its version 2. Not only it fixed the ailing new drive, but it brought the dead one back to life in full health.

Many years later, when I had some hard disk trouble, I recalled the incident, and bought SpinRite again, in its current version 6. By running it now a
... See more
In the ancient days of the PC-XT, when a 40 MB (yes, megabytes) hard drive cost USD 400, I had one die on me, and bought another. Then this new one had trouble, and incidentally I discovered a program named SpinRite, then in its version 2. Not only it fixed the ailing new drive, but it brought the dead one back to life in full health.

Many years later, when I had some hard disk trouble, I recalled the incident, and bought SpinRite again, in its current version 6. By running it now and then, I never had hard disk trouble again.

Worth checking out, especially because it's cheaper than a new hard drive.
Steve Gibson's video there is quite elucidative.

https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not really cheaper... Nov 22, 2013

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
Worth checking out, especially because it's cheaper than a new hard drive.
https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Spinrite is USD 89.00 and you don't get a demo version to see if it works for you or not. What do new hard drives cost in your country?

Note that Spinrite only works if your computer can see the hard drive -- if it can't see the hard drive, then Spinrite can't do anything to the drive. In other words, it works for a very specific type of hard drive crash.

kdanik
kdanik
Germany
hard drive recover Nov 22, 2013

This is the reason, why I through all my old drives. Almost every month I had problems with using my data. While I'm not tired I used software hetman partition recovery. In helped me for 2-3 times, but then I decide to buy new hard drive.

[Edited at 2013-11-22 11:02 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who of you have used data recovery services (for dead hard drives)?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »