Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:05
Dutch to English
Jan 14, 2014

Hi,

I am looking at an Asus 17" N-series laptop that meets all my specs (and is in my price range), however I'm not sure how durable and reliable these computers are. I use a laptop as a desktop replacement so it's for heavy use. So, for example, it needs to have a good keyboard. I've been very happy with my Dell Vostro but it's due for replacement. I am also looking at a Dell Precision but to get one with the same specs as the Asus I have in mind I would have to pay twice as much.<
... See more
Hi,

I am looking at an Asus 17" N-series laptop that meets all my specs (and is in my price range), however I'm not sure how durable and reliable these computers are. I use a laptop as a desktop replacement so it's for heavy use. So, for example, it needs to have a good keyboard. I've been very happy with my Dell Vostro but it's due for replacement. I am also looking at a Dell Precision but to get one with the same specs as the Asus I have in mind I would have to pay twice as much.

Thanks,

Olly
Collapse

Vasily Zvere (X)
Vasily Zvere (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:05
English to Russian
Packard Bell Jan 14, 2014

Hi Olly,
Try Packard Bell' laptops.
I"ve been used this brand for several years, and must say they are very reliable and comfortable to work with.
Ideal for translationslation service.
Vasily.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Hi Olly Jan 14, 2014

My daughter has an Asus and is really happy with it. She lugs it around all over the world and hasn't had any problems yet. Dunno about the keyboard.
Sure you want a 17 inch because that sounds big? I've been working on 15'6 for ages and they're fine. Make sure you get a matte screen.

felicij
felicij  Identity Verified
German to Slovenian
+ ...
I have ASUS Jan 14, 2014

After a year and a half the battery deteriorated due to heavy use outside my office. The keyboard itself is very good, but I have 18'', so it is a bit bigger than usual. I would certainly recommend it.

Tomaz Kremzar
Tomaz Kremzar
Slovenia
Dutch to Slovenian
+ ...
I am using Asus Ultrabook Jan 14, 2014

Hi,
I am using an Asus Ultrabook (13", Intel). Before, I was using a 17" Dell. The difference is enormous: 3,5 kg vs. 1,2 kg. My Asus is now as tiny as a A4 notebook. I did not buy it for the keyboard - I work on the laptop itself in exceptional cases (out of office). I prefer to work with an extern wireless keyboard/mouse (which is much cheaper and ergonomical) and big external screeen, of course. The battery of my smaller computer enables me more than 4 hours of work with e.g. Trads on a
... See more
Hi,
I am using an Asus Ultrabook (13", Intel). Before, I was using a 17" Dell. The difference is enormous: 3,5 kg vs. 1,2 kg. My Asus is now as tiny as a A4 notebook. I did not buy it for the keyboard - I work on the laptop itself in exceptional cases (out of office). I prefer to work with an extern wireless keyboard/mouse (which is much cheaper and ergonomical) and big external screeen, of course. The battery of my smaller computer enables me more than 4 hours of work with e.g. Trads on a battery.

I have decided for Asus becouse I have read/heard only good experiences and I wanted to have a powerful and reliable computer. I cannot afford to lose e.g. SDL Trados-, dictionary-licenses... as my wife did using a HP. I want a computer that works without problems/changes at least 3 years.

You should also check, if you have full Asus-support in your country. E.g. my wife had to send her HP with DHL to another country, so, the service case took her about 3 weeks of precious working time.

[Edited at 2014-01-14 09:47 GMT]
Collapse

French Locale
French Locale
English to French
+ ...
Bought an Asus 17" laptop in December... Jan 14, 2014

and I love it (well, apart from Windows 8.1). Above all, the keyboard is a pleasure to work with (that was the 1st thing I checked). Same typing speed as on my desktop PC. And actually way better than the keyboard from my previous MacBook Pro 17".

The only negative point is the trackpad, which could be more reactive, but I've been using the Apple Magic Trackpad for quite a while and I may just be too demanding
... See more
and I love it (well, apart from Windows 8.1). Above all, the keyboard is a pleasure to work with (that was the 1st thing I checked). Same typing speed as on my desktop PC. And actually way better than the keyboard from my previous MacBook Pro 17".

The only negative point is the trackpad, which could be more reactive, but I've been using the Apple Magic Trackpad for quite a while and I may just be too demanding

As for durability, had a look at reviews, and Asus laptops are generally quite good.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:05
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Lenovo ThinkPad Jan 14, 2014

Just bought one of these and am very pleased with it so far. I was only looking at laptops with Windows 7 Professional, and this one has it. I too wished to avoid Windows 8. My wife has a Sony Vaio with Windows 8, and though it's a good laptop, the operating system is a pain.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:05
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Got two Jan 14, 2014

I've got two Asus laptops, a 15" and a 17". Both are quite old actually, but I'm not going to replace them, because they are great. And if I ever decide to replace then surely only for a new Asus.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
External KB Jan 14, 2014

Have 2 of them: great stuff.

Keyboard is not that important since you'll have to connect an external KB and place the NB on a stand -- for ergonomical reasons. Don't underestimate this. Wees zuinig op je nek!

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Going for a BTO Jan 15, 2014

Thanks all for your advice. I've decided to go for a Dutch-built BTO (sort of to support local business) and am scaling back to 15.6" (I realised I don't need a 17.2" now that I use an extra usb monitor).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone have experience with Asus laptops

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »