Advice on Asus K52N for translating
Thread poster: Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:50
Spanish to English
Jan 30, 2014

I have seen this laptop, but not sure if you would recommend this laptop for translating

spec:
15.6 matte LED HD screen
AMD V140 2.3 ghz processor
250gbHDD
4gb ram
AMD radeon hd 4200 graphics
Windows 7

look forward to your comments

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 01:50
English to Italian
+ ...
In my opinion...... Jan 31, 2014

luke mersh wrote:

I have seen this laptop, but not sure if you would recommend this laptop for translating

spec:
15.6 matte LED HD screen
250gbHDD
4gb ram
Windows 7

....it's not a great machine. Bear in mind that some CATs (Studio in particular) tend to slow down a bit if you don't have quick HDD, enough RAM and enough storage. If i can suggest i'd go for something like this:

CPU: Intel Haswell i5 (quad threads) or i7 (eight threads not really necessary).
RAM: Min 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz (The more the better in any case).
HDD: hybrid small SSD (128GB/256GB for quick start) and a standard HDD for data storage. The reasons for this choice are that: A) a 250 GB HDD may not be enough for a translation platform once you start piling up files, TMs etc. So at least 500GB or 1TB (better if 7200RPM) would be better to make it future proof and B) A small SSD allows OS and main apps to start quick.

Display: anything that doesn't kill your eyes (Min 15", HD 1920x1080).

It may cost you a bit more but it's much more future proof (4 or 5 years). With your configuration you may save money now and find yourself unhappy in one year or two.

You may want to check Acer V5/V7. I own one and am pretty happy with it. Asus has also many models in that range but they cost more even though in terms of hardware they don't offer much more than Acer or MSI (I am in Taiwan so those sell a lot too); indeed often Asus configurations are subpar but the pc is more expensive.

Have a look if you wish:
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspirev7
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-V7-582PG-74508G52tkk-Notebook.103626.0.html

Hope this helps.

Enrico

[Edited at 2014-01-31 10:29 GMT]

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Advice on Asus K52N for translating Jan 31, 2014

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

luke mersh wrote:

spec:
15.6 matte LED HD screen
250gbHDD
4gb ram
Windows 7

....it's not a great machine. Bear in mind that some CATs (Studio in particular) tend to slow down a bit if you don't have quick HDD, enough RAM and enough storage. If i can suggest i'd go for something like this:

CPU: Intel Haswell i5 (quad threads) or i7 (eight threads not really necessary).
RAM: Min 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz (The more the better in any case).
HDD: hybrid small SSD (128GB/256GB for quick start) and a standard HDD for data storage. The reasons for this choice are that: A) a 250 GB HDD may not be enough for a translation platform once you start piling up files, TMs etc. So at least 500GB or 1TB (better if 7200RPM) would be better to make it future proof and B) A small SSD allows OS and main apps to start quick.

Display: anything that doesn't kill your eyes (Min 15", HD 1920x1080).

It may cost you a bit more but it's much more future proof (4 or 5 years). With your configuration you may save money now and find yourself unhappy in one year or two.

You may want to check Acer V5/V7. I own one and am pretty happy with it. Asus has also many models in that range but they cost more even though in terms of hardware don't offer much more than Acer or MSI (I am in Taiwan so those sell a lot too); indeed often Asus configuration is subpar but the pc is more expensive.

Have a look if you wish:
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspirev7
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-V7-582PG-74508G52tkk-Notebook.103626.0.html

Hope this helps.

Enrico

Thanks for that.
but I am buying second hand £150
can not afford a new I5 or I7
I had an Acer, its dead thats why I am buying another laptop.
But many people are recommending Asus.
The only other laptop I have seen is the Asus Z96Jm.

I am really looking for duo core( duo 2 core)
I also have my HDD from acer with Linux and other files , so I need a laptop with HDD not SSD.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 18:50
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Windows 7 Jan 31, 2014

I agree with Enrico with regards to Intel i5/i7- the last not really necessary but I do not use Cat tools. I would go for Windows 7 as I do not much like Windows 8 & 8.1; they need getting used to but I do not like them at all. Wonder you can still find windows 7, as we do not find it any more. If you can find 15.6", that extra 6" make a huge difference

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER

Unfortunately I5 & I7 are out of the question.
Duo 2 core is what I can afford.
Also I am buying secondhand.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 18:50
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Buying second-hand Jan 31, 2014

Is it wise to buy second-hand? You might be a wizard at IT for all I know and create your own computer but buying second-hand is very risky with computers, and what about software? Can you download a lot of programs agencies work with today? These slow down your PC when you need a fast connection + PC capability. It's your decision, but these are pitfalls

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 00:50
English to Indonesian
+ ...
One vote for the Asus Jan 31, 2014

That Asus K52N may not be a great machine, 4 GB of RAM is not a lot, buying a new machine would probably be wiser, but Luke doesn't have the money. End of story. If he buys that Asus, downloads OmegaT (free) and LibreOffice (free), he'll be able to handle most jobs. And if he then just starts translating, he can buy a Mac in no-time.

Cheers,

Hans

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER

The laptops I buy are normally very good.

What I plan to do is to install Windows 7 64bit and then I can install more ram.
Also its not a big job to change hard drives for a new bigger faster one.

Also I have my existing Linux Hard drive which I need to put in whatever laptop I buy.

keep the advice coming.
many thanks again

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 00:50
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Linux? Feb 1, 2014

luke mersh wrote: What I plan to do is to install Windows 7 64bit ...Also I have my existing Linux Hard drive

Why not use Linux, and forget about Windows?

Cheers,

Hans

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Advice on Asus K52N for translating Feb 1, 2014

I still need to buy the laptop , as this Linux HDD came out of my dead laptop.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Advice on Asus K52N for translating Feb 17, 2014

Looks like this one got away, will have to wait till I have enough money to go ahead and buy an Asus.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Advice on Asus K52N for translating May 31, 2014

So I finally bought an Asus K54C with 6gb Ram and 320 GB Hard drive.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on Asus K52N for translating

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »