Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:14
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 13, 2014

Hello everyone

I'd like to use Duplicati for online backups, and I'd like to purchase about 100 GB of storage. The Duplicati web site shows how to back up to a number of services, and their prices are here:

* Google Drive 100 GB: USD 24/year (15 GB free)
* OneDrive 100 GB: USD 50/year (8 GB free)
* HiDrive.nl 100 GB: First year EUR 47, then EUR 84/year (No free plans)
* Box.net (UK) 100 GB: EUR 96/year (10 GB free)
* CloudSafe 50+50 GB: USD 160/
... See more
Hello everyone

I'd like to use Duplicati for online backups, and I'd like to purchase about 100 GB of storage. The Duplicati web site shows how to back up to a number of services, and their prices are here:

* Google Drive 100 GB: USD 24/year (15 GB free)
* OneDrive 100 GB: USD 50/year (8 GB free)
* HiDrive.nl 100 GB: First year EUR 47, then EUR 84/year (No free plans)
* Box.net (UK) 100 GB: EUR 96/year (10 GB free)
* CloudSafe 50+50 GB: USD 160/year (2 GB free)
* DriveOnWeb.de 100 GB: EUR 132/year (3 GB free)
* Backup.ACtion 50+50 GB: USD 240/year (No free plans)

So it looks like Google Drive and One Drive (formerly SkyDrive) are the cheapest options. Do any of you know of other affordable online backup storage services that work with Duplicati? (E.g. if the service offers WebDAV then it works with Duplicati.) Or, have any of you tried any of the above services and found them wanting?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Karahan Sisman
Karahan Sisman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:14
Member (2010)
English to Turkish
A good topic May 13, 2014

Hi Samuel,

I have also been considering purchasing a cloud storage option, but I have some concerns about the security of my files/work. As far as I'm aware, most of these companies index the files you upload, so I think it might cause some confidentiality issues when you upload a confidential file.

Let's wait to see what options our fellow colleagues are using.

Cheers,

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not concerned, but... May 13, 2014

Karahan Sisman wrote:
I have some concerns about the security of my files/work. As far as I'm aware, most of these companies index the files you upload, so I think it might cause some confidentiality issues when you upload a confidential file.

If you want total privacy, Duplicati takes care of that. Duplicate does not store your files as individual files but as zipped volumes, and you can optionally have the volumes encrypted before they are uploaded (in fact, encryption is the default option in Duplicati, but you can disable it if you don't want encryption). And by default Duplicati suggests a very strong password, but you can select your own password if you want.

This means that even if there is an indexing system on the storage provider's side, it will not be able to make any sense of your data, and even if another party gains access to your storage folder and copies the backed up volumes to their own computer, they will not be able to unpack it without the password.

However, in my opinion, cloud storage does not breach confidentiality, even if they process the data. It would concern me if they make the data available to the public (or to non-public third parties).

[Edited at 2014-05-13 10:34 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:14
Finnish to French
Amazon? May 17, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:
So it looks like Google Drive and One Drive (formerly SkyDrive) are the cheapest options. Do any of you know of other affordable online backup storage services that work with Duplicati

I'm not aware of Duplicati, but I'm surprised not to see Amazon in the list of supported cloud services. For this kind of service, I'd personally go for a large, well-established player like Google, Microsoft, Amazon etc., rather than with a small/young/unknown startup. Not because the bigger ones are necessary better, but because I know they'll still be around 10-15 years from now.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Duplicati does support Amazon, but... May 17, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:
I'm surprised not to see Amazon in the list of supported cloud services.

Duplicati does support Amazon, but Amazon's pricing scheme is so different from the pricing of the other services that I did not include it in the list of services that I wrote down the prices for.

For the other services, you pay per gigabyte of storage. With Amazon, you pay according to a complex set of parameters that include separate prices for various types of connection requests. It is impossible (for me) to compare Amazon to the others, on price. For the same reason, I have no idea what backing up at Amazon is likely to cost me, or which one of the packages would be suited for my needs.

For this kind of service, I'd personally go for a large, well-established player... because I know they'll still be around 10-15 years from now.

My backup schedule makes a full backup once a month (once every two weeks for certain parts of my data), and incremental backups inbetween. So there is no need for me to choose a provider that will be there for "10-15 years".

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:14
Finnish to French
Amazon = pay-as-you-go May 17, 2014

Yes, Amazon is pay-as-you-go, and S3 is primarily aimed at IT professionals in corporates, not so much private persons like you and me. This is why you won't be able to easily compare it (price-wise) to companies that charge a fixed price per year for a certain amount of GB. Many cloud service providers actually buy S3 capacity from Amazon in bulk and resell it (after repackaging it as their own product) to people like you and me. Dropbox is one such company.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best paid cloud for Duplicati?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »