Buying a refurbished MBA from the US Apple Store: how?
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:34
May 15, 2014

I'd like to buy a refurbished MBA from the US Apple Store. The problem is that they only accept American credit cards and only ship to American addresses. (I'm living in the Netherlands.)

Nevertheless, are there any solutions possible?

Hans

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:34
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
MBAs sold in Netherlands May 15, 2014

You can get them here, but I don't know how the prices compare with USpple Store.

http://www.everymac.com/global-mac-prices/mac-prices-netherlands-nederland-holland-nl.html

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:34
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Remailing/forwarding service May 15, 2014

The easiest way is to have a friend or trusted acquaintance in the US buy it and ship it to you, and you reimburse them.

The shipping aspect itself could be taken care of by using a mail forwarding/remailing service in the US, which, for a fee, provides you with US mailing address to ship the package to and will forward to your desired destination.

The credit card angle is more difficult to solve. Again, it's easiest to simply have a friend buy it for you. If someone w
... See more
The easiest way is to have a friend or trusted acquaintance in the US buy it and ship it to you, and you reimburse them.

The shipping aspect itself could be taken care of by using a mail forwarding/remailing service in the US, which, for a fee, provides you with US mailing address to ship the package to and will forward to your desired destination.

The credit card angle is more difficult to solve. Again, it's easiest to simply have a friend buy it for you. If someone were willing to purchase a US Apple Store gift card for you, you might be able to use that to complete your purchase and send it to a remailing service.

It might also be possible to purchase a prepaid US Visa or Mastercard-branded card to use for this purpose.

However, given the shipping/remailing costs, risk of loss or damage, and high customs duties (don't forget those!) you will probably pay if/when you receive your MBA, I would think carefully about whether what you propose is actually worthwhile vs getting it locally.

Or you can always find an excuse for a quick visit the US and go pick it up yourself.
Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:34
French to English
+ ...
Probably not worth it May 15, 2014

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:
However, given the shipping/remailing costs, risk of loss or damage, and high customs duties (don't forget those!) you will probably pay if/when you receive your MBA, I would think carefully about whether what you propose is actually worthwhile vs getting it locally.

I tend to agree it's probably not worth it.

I would vaguely consider it if you had a good friend who happened to be going to the US and could pick it up in store (which is an option: I assume in that case there isn't a restriction on who can buy it). In that case you'd probably get away with not paying customs duties as such, but there'll inevitably be some sales tax of some sort added (even if it's just the local sales tax in the state where you buy it), plus you need to be careful that a refurbished model isn't a couple of years out of date. It sounds like a lot of fuss and risk to save maybe a hundred dollars or so.

AndersonT (X)
AndersonT (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:34
German to English
Customs! May 16, 2014

If the NL is anything like Germany, you might be looking at a hefty "import VAT" at the time of delivery which will basically eat up the entire price advantage over ordering a refurb in Europe.

Happened to me plenty of times during my stays in Germany. You think the weak Dollar and generally lower prices will make it worth it, only to find yourself paying about the same but now with the added risk of shipping a highly sensitive device some 8,000 mls.

Even if customs let
... See more
If the NL is anything like Germany, you might be looking at a hefty "import VAT" at the time of delivery which will basically eat up the entire price advantage over ordering a refurb in Europe.

Happened to me plenty of times during my stays in Germany. You think the weak Dollar and generally lower prices will make it worth it, only to find yourself paying about the same but now with the added risk of shipping a highly sensitive device some 8,000 mls.

Even if customs lets it slide, you'll still have to buy a Euro-power supply, and by the time you get that you might even pay more than you would have in Europe.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Buying a refurbished MBA from the US Apple Store: how?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »