Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:17
German to French
+ ...
Sep 26, 2011

Hi all,

I'm aware this might be like setting a cat among the pigeons, but there are so many rumous and misconceptions going around the Web when it comes to social networks - and particularly Google+.

In my humble opinion, G+ is completely misunderstood and highly underestimated.

This is an article I wrote last week on the topic of Google+ for translators and in general, and I'd be very interested in hearing your experience, opinion, feedback, questions: rea
... See more
Hi all,

I'm aware this might be like setting a cat among the pigeons, but there are so many rumous and misconceptions going around the Web when it comes to social networks - and particularly Google+.

In my humble opinion, G+ is completely misunderstood and highly underestimated.

This is an article I wrote last week on the topic of Google+ for translators and in general, and I'd be very interested in hearing your experience, opinion, feedback, questions: read it here.

Looking forward to reading you!

Regards
Anne

[Edited at 2011-09-26 16:31 GMT]
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:17
Hebrew to English
Social network apathy Sep 26, 2011

Hey!

I liked your article, it was a good defence of Google+ .

Saying that, I'm not sure it will convince the masses to join just yet and I'm not sure the problem is necessarily brand loyalty to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc...(although in some cases, sure it probably is).

I think people are struggling to see its USP (unique selling point). I understand that its features are basically a mish-mash of the best parts of Facebook, Twitter et al but the only th
... See more
Hey!

I liked your article, it was a good defence of Google+ .

Saying that, I'm not sure it will convince the masses to join just yet and I'm not sure the problem is necessarily brand loyalty to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc...(although in some cases, sure it probably is).

I think people are struggling to see its USP (unique selling point). I understand that its features are basically a mish-mash of the best parts of Facebook, Twitter et al but the only thing I can really see as the main advantage to it is the higher google ranking....and I don't think that is enough to lure people.

...and surely that effect is relative (presuming everybody jumped ship and joined Google+ ).

Another aspect is social network apathy. I don't think it's a case of *sigh/moan* or people being too busy playing Farmville (patronizing much?) I just think there's a limit to the novelty of social networking. The market is saturated. Facebook and Twitter take care of the personal side of things and LinkedIn covers the business side, with some overlap on both sides.

I'm not saying Google+ is in any way bad or worse than existing social networking sites, I just think it's a bit redundant, and VERY late to the party....Facebook et al have dug their trenches....

It may stand a chance if it concentrates on the next generation, "get 'em while they're young" approach, but I think it will be fighting an uphill battle trying to convert the "faithful", so to speak.

Although....if Facebook insists on making constant annoying little changes....who knows?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Clearly things against them Sep 26, 2011

Ty Kendall wrote:
I'm not saying Google+ is in any way bad or worse than existing social networking sites, I just think it's a bit redundant, and VERY late to the party....Facebook et al have dug their trenches....

Personally I really dislike two things described in Anne's article: the fact that someone can "ghost-link to me", i.e. follow me without my approval (yes, I know that this already exists in some social networks), and also that someone who invites with no control or consideration for other people's time does not get some kind of reprimand or limitation.

As a very busy translator I just cannot spend time checking who I know and don't know, and being invited by hundreds of completely unknown people every week (yes, this was so pedantic!) is something I completely disagree with. Yet, surely Google+ has a feature to disable invitations, but in this case, how am I going to be invited by people I might like to keep in touch with?

I don't know what the future of Google+ will be, but they already failed with the theoretically game-changing Google Wave... a complete disaster despite the VIP invitations and all the hype. Personally I don't see myself going into yet another social network. I can hardly maintain the ones I am in already!

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updates on the article Oct 27, 2011

Hi all,

An updated version of the article (in light of some changes Google made to Google+ this past month) has been published on the Social Media Today website, one of the leading platforms in the social networking and Internet marketing industry.

You can find the article
... See more
Hi all,

An updated version of the article (in light of some changes Google made to Google+ this past month) has been published on the Social Media Today website, one of the leading platforms in the social networking and Internet marketing industry.

You can find the article here: http://socialmediatoday.com/anne-diamantidis/382452/google-misunderstood-or-underestimated

Happy reading!

Anne
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Google+, the misunderstood kid in the Social Media classroom

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »