Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:17
English
+ ...
They almost never had much thought about privacy Dec 9, 2011

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

I find it quite unacceptable if they ignore the privacy settings one already made, and change it back to the default at their own will. If this is true, it does not speak high of them, and of their regard for personal information.

The thing is that they have almost never had much thought about privacy. This is not the first time privacy settings could get reset and/or the privacy infrastructure was completely changed and forced on us without any possibility of feedback (in terms of usability, accessibility, security or otherwise), and I can remember at least twice when the EFF said something against it. In their current mindset, they would probably love everything to be in the open so that everything we put there could be leveraged to generate ads.

The worst thing about these changes is that except for the original privacy framework (which I think was solidly designed and entirely reasonable), every round of changes has made them look like they didn’t know what they were doing. This is not design; this is the opposite of design.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:17
Chinese to English
If you want your stuff private... Dec 9, 2011

don't put it online. I'm just sayin'.

I'm completely uninterested in FB either way - don't use it for social life or business - but I'm kinda with Anne on this. It's a free service. You like it, you use it, you don't like it, you walk. If you manage your private information so carelessly that a format change which FB has flagged up months in advance is really going to cause you problems, then frankly you deserve those problems.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:17
English
+ ...
The meaning of design Dec 9, 2011

Phil Hand wrote:

I'm completely uninterested in FB either way - don't use it for social life or business - but I'm kinda with Anne on this. It's a free service. You like it, you use it, you don't like it, you walk. If you manage your private information so carelessly that a format change which FB has flagged up months in advance is really going to cause you problems, then frankly you deserve those problems.

The thing is these problems go much deeper than a formatting change. Every of these changes is architectural. They change the fundamentals without thought, and with this lack of design information leaks out unintentionally.

If you haven’t done so yet, you should read up on what the EFF has to say about it.

[Edited at 2011-12-09 17:48 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:17
English to Czech
+ ...
Not so easy Dec 10, 2011

Phil Hand wrote:

Hi Phil,
this may be wandering off-topic a little, but something inside me is saying: "Phil's right, but he's an adult. What about our children (okay, I don't have any yet) and their privacy settings?"

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Facebook Timeline is on its way

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »