Thread poster: Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 09:00
English to Hungarian
+ ...
May 11, 2003

As a matter of fact, I was always very reluctant to use translation tools, but now - having discovered how wonderful Metatexis is - I would like to have a look at the market.

I understand Systran is a CAT tool institutionalised at the EU and I wonder what this might be: can a freelance translator buy it, what does it \"know\" etc.

Could you please advise me on that?

[ 2003-05-11 12:00]

In the meantime I\'ve fo
... See more
As a matter of fact, I was always very reluctant to use translation tools, but now - having discovered how wonderful Metatexis is - I would like to have a look at the market.

I understand Systran is a CAT tool institutionalised at the EU and I wonder what this might be: can a freelance translator buy it, what does it \"know\" etc.

Could you please advise me on that?

[ 2003-05-11 12:00]

In the meantime I\'ve found out a couple of things, so my question became limited to the issue of your eventual experience with / opinion about Systran. (FYI, on the website, I let a sentence be translated from English into German - \'twas already fun - and then back to English and - well, I am not afraid of the competition from machine translation!)

[ 2003-05-11 21:17]
Collapse

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:00
English to German
Machine translation has limited benefits Jun 5, 2003

Hello Eva,

while CAT tools are a big help for every translator, the benefits of machine translation tools are still limited - despite some minor improvements in the last years.

I have experimented with several translation tools - and was quite disappointed, simply because the quality of the results of all machine translation tools are poor, especially when the texts to be translated are complex. Only when the sentences are very short, the vocabulary used
... See more
Hello Eva,

while CAT tools are a big help for every translator, the benefits of machine translation tools are still limited - despite some minor improvements in the last years.

I have experimented with several translation tools - and was quite disappointed, simply because the quality of the results of all machine translation tools are poor, especially when the texts to be translated are complex. Only when the sentences are very short, the vocabulary used is small, and the style is \"easy\", the results can be good. However, when this is not the case, you very often have to re-write the whole sentence rather than only revise it. For me, it proved to be less time consuming to NOT use a machine translation tool. (I usually translated economic texts.)

On the other hand, there are translators who actually use machine translation tools (mostly for very technical texts, I suppose).

If you want to purchase a machine tool, make sure that you purchase the best one for the language pair concernced! For example, for GermanEnglish, Systran is NOT the best tool available! Usually, Personal Translator gets much better reviews.

Here are a few interesting links:

http://www.linguatec.de/products/pt2002/index.en.shtml

http://www.systran.net

http://www.heisoft.com

Best regards

Hermann
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:00
Flemish to English
+ ...
ProMT Aug 26, 2003

www.translate.ru does not produce the same quality translations as human translation but if of an understandable level.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could you tell me about Systran?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »