Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:34
Flemish to English
+ ...
Aug 18, 2003

Is there anybody out there who has experience with Oracle (v8.i).
I know that I will be referred to the Oracle site, but I would like to ask you if you can explain in simple words what the program entails and what the difference is between Oracle and MsAccess.

Hector Calabia
Hector Calabia  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
MS Access and Oracle are databases Aug 18, 2003

Both MS Access and Oracle are database engines. The main difference between them is that Access is a database for small systems, mainly Windows PCs, while Oracle is typically used on big servers in enterprises.

As databases, they share the same basic concepts (fields and records, indexes, etc.), but Oracle points to heavy use implementations. They can easily handle millions of records, and enforce strict data security requirements. Oracle is typically used by big firms, financial in
... See more
Both MS Access and Oracle are database engines. The main difference between them is that Access is a database for small systems, mainly Windows PCs, while Oracle is typically used on big servers in enterprises.

As databases, they share the same basic concepts (fields and records, indexes, etc.), but Oracle points to heavy use implementations. They can easily handle millions of records, and enforce strict data security requirements. Oracle is typically used by big firms, financial institutions and government agencies, with millions or hundreds of millions of customers.

Besides, Oracle provides a set of applications for common business uses.

MS Access is quite robust and reliable too; but for smaller systems, with less stringent security requirements, and each database cannot be larger than 2 Gb, I think.

[Edited at 2003-08-18 19:09]

[Edited at 2003-08-18 19:11]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 13:34
English to German
+ ...
Oracle and MS-Access Jan 1, 2004

Quote:
Williamson wrote:

I know that I will be referred to the Oracle site, but I would like to ask you if you can explain in simple words what the program entails and what the difference is between Oracle and MsAccess.
Hi! I have working experience with both. Oracle 8.0 Internet, 9 IAS and 9IDS and client sided Developer tools ( i) inte
... See more
Quote:
Williamson wrote:

Hi! I have working experience with both. Oracle 8.0 Internet, 9 IAS and 9IDS and client sided Developer tools ( i) integration is a server sided management system, integrating almost any type of data into it, whereas MS-Access (also not bad) is a client sided version of MS-SQL server. In Oracle area I had offered full length schooling for many years, which partly I do today also.

I hope that answers

Brandis

[ 2004-01-03 11:11]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for feedback about Oracle.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »