Thread poster: Iouri Belooussov
Iouri Belooussov
Iouri Belooussov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:37
English to Russian
Feb 17, 2004

Dear all!

Could anyone help to find or suggest any mean to count words in AutoCAD?

Appreciate any help

Thank you

Tobi
Tobi
Local time: 06:37
English to German
+ ...
Unfortunately, no Feb 18, 2004

Dear Iouri,

As far as I know, there is no way to do a word count in AutoCAD. I do it manually.
Maybe someone knows a workaround, such as a text export routine. I'll watch the thread.

Best regards,

Tobi

Olga Judina
Olga Judina  Identity Verified
Latvia
Latvian to Russian
+ ...
Try charging per sheet or applying hourly rate Feb 18, 2004

I did AutoCAD translation only once as a freelancer (I'm an in-house translator now and word count doesn't really matter), and I charged per sheet. After choosing and doing one 'average small' and one 'average large' drawing I was able to set price per sheet (I was client's only chance and didn't have to give my rates upfront). Of course, some of the drawings had more words, but some almost none, so on average it was OK.
Another thing to take into account is whether the customer needs draw
... See more
I did AutoCAD translation only once as a freelancer (I'm an in-house translator now and word count doesn't really matter), and I charged per sheet. After choosing and doing one 'average small' and one 'average large' drawing I was able to set price per sheet (I was client's only chance and didn't have to give my rates upfront). Of course, some of the drawings had more words, but some almost none, so on average it was OK.
Another thing to take into account is whether the customer needs drawings in two languages or you can simply replace the source text. Replace function makes it much easier since normally drawings have many repetitions , but if each sheet should be in two languages, using replace function can be a bit of a headache. Large text fragments can be translated in Word and inserted into AutoCAD drawing, it's easy and no problems with word count.
I suppose if you're an experienced AutoCAD user and don't waste time wondering "what the hell was that???" you can charge per hour.

[Edited at 2004-02-18 15:01]
Collapse

SysfilterMaker
SysfilterMaker
Germany
Local time: 06:37
--> create Pdfs, then count the PDF file..... Feb 18, 2004

Hello,

Try this: convert the files to pdf and count the texts of the pdf files.

HTH

Regards from Germany

Wilhelm Polmann
www.ecm-engineering.de

Iouri Belooussov
Iouri Belooussov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 19, 2004

Dear colleagues!

Thank you all for your time!

Iouri

Vasu Valluri
Vasu Valluri
India
Local time: 10:07
Russian to English
+ ...
Use Across Jul 4, 2018

I usually translate AutoCAD drawings via .dxf format in CAT tool Across. you can try that.

Vasu Valluri
Vasu Valluri
India
Local time: 10:07
Russian to English
+ ...
TransTools for Autocad (free) Jan 18, 2019

Nowadays I use this tool to extract and translate and place back translations

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count in AutoCAD

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »