Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:25
Catalan to English
+ ...
Mar 4, 2004

Hi,

Could anyone please explain how you copy an entire PDF file so as to paste it in word.

Hitting "Select All" selects the entire page only, not the entire document and the PDF in question is over 50 pages! I don't really have the time to copy page by page and there's always the chance I might miss one out.

TIA for any help

Andy.

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Convert to Word Mar 4, 2004

Hello,

Maybe you should consider to convert the PDF into a Word document if you intend to translate it. If not for translation, why do you have to have it in Word format?

For PDF conversion into Word there are a few threads on this on the PROZ, already.

Hope this helps
Kind regards
Mónica

Elenka Ganeva
Elenka Ganeva  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:25
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Hi, Mar 4, 2004

Hi,
All I can tell you is how I worked with a company, which sent me PDF files.
I copied page by page and I translated page by page using all symbols included. They were pleased.
Good luck!
Smily

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:25
German to English
Save as ... Mar 4, 2004

If the pdf was created directly from Word, "Save as ..." will allow you to save the text in RTF format (providing the file isn't locked. Look for a little key at the botom of the frame). You will then have to massage the text a little to get rid of the hard returns. If the pdf was created from a scan, you're out of luck, since the text is really a graphic. In this case, you'll have to use an OCR program.
Kevin

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Select "Continuous Facing" Mar 4, 2004

Select "Continuous Facing" (under "View") and that will let you copy everything in one go.

Hope this helps

Ian

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
French to English
Copying with a view to what? Mar 4, 2004

Dear Andy
In answer to your question, I have a feeling you can copy the entire text in earlier versions of Acrobat Reader, in Acrobat 5 for example.
But if you then intend to do something with the text in Word, i.e. and e.g.translate it, you are going to run into a lot of trouble - as you will very soon discover!
What you need to do is not so much COPY as CONVERT the PDF file. This topic has been pretty exhaustively covered in the forums, so I won't dwell on the matter here, e
... See more
Dear Andy
In answer to your question, I have a feeling you can copy the entire text in earlier versions of Acrobat Reader, in Acrobat 5 for example.
But if you then intend to do something with the text in Word, i.e. and e.g.translate it, you are going to run into a lot of trouble - as you will very soon discover!
What you need to do is not so much COPY as CONVERT the PDF file. This topic has been pretty exhaustively covered in the forums, so I won't dwell on the matter here, except to say that I personally find PDF Convertor (available on a trial basis from www.scansoft.com, subsequently $50)an excellent solution in most cases.

Best

Barnaby
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And lo, did he use "Continuous Facing" and it was a Good Thing Mar 4, 2004

[quote]Ian Winick wrote:

Select "Continuous Facing" (under "View") and that will let you copy everything in one go.

Hope this helps

Many thanks Ian...works perfectly.

Barnaby, it indeed is for pasting into a Word.doc.
I've done it several times in the past and never had any problems (except for "cleaning up" the resulting text somewhat).

In a forum discussion they once mentioned a site you could send PDF files to, which was supposed to return them in Word.
Tried it and it never worked.

What kind of problems are your referring to, exactly?

Cheers,
Andy

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
French to English
My apologies Mar 4, 2004

[quote]andycw wrote:

Ian Winick wrote:

Hope this helps

Many thanks Ian...works perfectly.

Barnaby, it indeed is for pasting into a Word.doc.
I've done it several times in the past and never had any problems (except for "cleaning up" the resulting text somewhat).

In a forum discussion they once mentioned a site you could send PDF files to, which was supposed to return them in Word.
Tried it and it never worked.

What kind of problems are your referring to, exactly?

Cheers,
Andy

Sorry Andy
That should teach me to read what people write more carefully! I leapt to the (wrong) conclusion that you wanted to actually translate the text once pasted. But that's not what you said, so many apologies.
Anyway, I've learnt something useful from this exchange!

Best

Barnaby

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Continuous Facing Mar 4, 2004

Hi Andy

I tried Ian's suggestion (thanks, Ian) and it's great BUT a bit of text was still skipped...

That's the problem with PDF conversion, I just done one the other day page by page and still had to check page by page against the original to ensure that nothing got missed.

EKM
EKM
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Picture objects? Mar 6, 2004

Ailish Maher wrote:
I tried Ian's suggestion (thanks, Ian) and it's great BUT a bit of text was still skipped...

That's the problem with PDF conversion, I just done one the other day page by page and still had to check page by page against the original to ensure that nothing got missed.

I suspect there may have been image objects (which still appear to be plain text)in your particular pdf. Any text in such objects will have to be copied manually, as far as I know.

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Checking text Mar 6, 2004

Hi Ailish and Marten,

Quite right, of course.

Some text is left out / distorted / appears in a weird position compared to the original. But it's still preferable to working from a 20,000 word original on paper.
When I work from a paper copy, I feel like I've been taken back 25 years and start to look round for a typewriter and correction fluid!!

Many thanks to all for your replies.

Saludos,
Andy

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Translating pdf with Wordfast Mar 7, 2004

Wordfast allows to translate the file straight in pdf, the same way as with powerpoint etc. But all depends on the character of the file.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
How about line-breaks and colums? Mar 7, 2004

Barnaby Capel-Dunn wrote:

Dear Andy
What you need to do is not so much COPY as CONVERT the PDF file. This topic has been pretty exhaustively covered in the forums, so I won't dwell on the matter here, except to say that I personally find PDF Convertor (available on a trial basis from www.scansoft.com, subsequently $50)an excellent solution in most cases.

Best

Barnaby

Before I buy (there is no trial version anymore), does PDF Converter handle linebreaks and colums right. Otherwise it's not much use.

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
French to English
Try this link... Mar 7, 2004

... for a free trial download of PFD Converter
http://www.simtel.com/product.php?id=75177&sekid=221&SiteID=simtel.net

Best

Barnaby

PS the software handles line breaks and columns very well on the whole. Check it out!

itaharold
itaharold
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Copying a PDF to Word Mar 9, 2004

andycw wrote:

Hi,

Could anyone please explain how you copy an entire PDF file so as to paste it in word.

Hitting "Select All" selects the entire page only, not the entire document and the PDF in question is over 50 pages! I don't really have the time to copy page by page and there's always the chance I might miss one out.

TIA for any help

Andy.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copying an entire PDF

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »