Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Apr 6, 2004

I installed today pdf-converter, but after installation I cannot find any icon or exe-file to start the program. I use Win2000. Never seen anything like that. What is the file that starts the program? Please help!

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:18
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe a printer? Apr 6, 2004

Usually PDF converters install themselves as another printer. You can print your documents there as you would with any other printer.

If you specify the name of the software, the help would be more specific as well.

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
it's a plug-in Apr 6, 2004

I don't have it myself, but from what I read (on http://www.scansoft.com/pdfconverter/) it's a plug-in so it is not something that can be launched independently.
Instead, it adds features to your existing applications, i.e. in Word, File>Open you should now be able to choose the PDF format in the "Files of Type" pop-up menu in the Open dialog box, or when you right click on a PDF file you sh
... See more
I don't have it myself, but from what I read (on http://www.scansoft.com/pdfconverter/) it's a plug-in so it is not something that can be launched independently.
Instead, it adds features to your existing applications, i.e. in Word, File>Open you should now be able to choose the PDF format in the "Files of Type" pop-up menu in the Open dialog box, or when you right click on a PDF file you should get an "Open PDF in Word" command in the context-sensitive menu.
HtH,
Roberta

[Edited at 2004-04-06 20:37]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for advice! Apr 7, 2004

Yes, its a plug-in. But unfortunately it does not work. It insists on an activation code, which I do not have, and when I try to buy the software I can not even select my country, Finland, at 'F' there is only French Guyana or something.
Should find something else

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Now I remeber it Apr 7, 2004

My agency used to have PDF Converter, I just didn't remember the name. I assumed that you're talking about converting from docs to PDF, not the other way around.

We found PDF Conv of very limited use. Worst of all, the program tried to be very "intelligent" and did not allow any control over the recognition process. In one case the software got the the very same header from three pages in three different forms: once as bitmap, the other as a text box, the third I don't remember, a t
... See more
My agency used to have PDF Converter, I just didn't remember the name. I assumed that you're talking about converting from docs to PDF, not the other way around.

We found PDF Conv of very limited use. Worst of all, the program tried to be very "intelligent" and did not allow any control over the recognition process. In one case the software got the the very same header from three pages in three different forms: once as bitmap, the other as a text box, the third I don't remember, a table probably.

On the other hand, we found that Abbyy's FineReader is VERY useful. I would never believe it, but OCRing from a PDF file usually gives better results than capturing the text from the PDF file itself. AND it gives you very good control over the process.

I do not know the price, but I suppose it was significant. Yet if you have many PDF files to translate, it might be worth it.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly Apr 7, 2004

I tried today Finereader too and I'm going to buy it right away. Should have got that software a year ago, would have saved me weeks of time.
I believe Adobe has some patents, that can not be circumvented by decoding. The OCR approach is very reasonable.

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:18
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Before buying Apr 7, 2004

Dear Heinrich,

Before buying a software please have a look on comments made on Proz about PDF converters. There are quite a few applications and the results obtained might depend on the complexity of your files too. There have been quite a few discussions on this matter on Proz.

Hope this helps
Best regards,
Mónica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where's pdf-converter

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »