Lara Barnett
Lara Barnett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:07
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Aug 8, 2012

I am being provided training on SDLX by an agency I am hoping to receive some work from. I have been sent an SDLX file to download, which I presume must be the software I need for this (I do not currently have my own version of SDLX).

My computer has been unable to open the file and advises me to discard anyway as it could cause a danger to my system. I have tried downloading a couple of unzipping software programs (7-zip and Unzip for Windows), but neither of these have worked.
... See more
I am being provided training on SDLX by an agency I am hoping to receive some work from. I have been sent an SDLX file to download, which I presume must be the software I need for this (I do not currently have my own version of SDLX).

My computer has been unable to open the file and advises me to discard anyway as it could cause a danger to my system. I have tried downloading a couple of unzipping software programs (7-zip and Unzip for Windows), but neither of these have worked. I am not sure if this is because my computer does not support any of these unzipping packages or if it is a problem with the compatibility of my computer with SDLX.

Does anybody have any idea about what unzip package I could download, preferably a free one, that would open SDLX software and files on a Windows 32-bit operating system using Windows Vista HP.
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 21:07
English to German
What kind of file is it anyway? Aug 8, 2012

LaraBarnett wrote:

I have been sent an SDLX file to download, which I presume must be the software I need for this (I do not currently have my own version of SDLX).

You presume? What did agency say? Is it allowed to distribute SDL software anyway?

What's the name of that file? WhatHaveYou.sdlx? If so, it is no software but a data file which is not zipped.

Lara Barnett
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Kind of file Aug 8, 2012

Sorry,

I am not very good at expressing myself in terms of computer usage.

The file is called: [filename].zip

I have been sent this through webshare. When I try to download it, it is definitely something that is zipped.

Does this help?

[Edited at 2012-08-08 16:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-08-08 16:47 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Unzip only files thta reside on your hard disk Aug 8, 2012

LaraBarnett wrote:

The file is called:
http://ftp ... lot of gibberish ... abcde.zip

Actually the name of the file is abcde.zip. The preceeding gibberish does not belong to the file.

I don't know how your "webshare" works. But you have to put that file with that name onto your harddisk, e. g. in a scratch folder. Then it will be unzippable I think.

[Bearbeitet am 2012-08-09 05:16 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Lara and Rolf Aug 8, 2012

I suggest removing the link from your posts as this is actually a breach of confidentiality.

Thank you.

Lara Barnett
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Breach of Conf. Aug 8, 2012

Thanks Natalie for letting me know.

Lara Barnett
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Rolf Aug 9, 2012

Could this be a problem in downloading the file rather than the unzipping program? I have tried 4 different zip programs. The file seems to be downloading into a format unrecognisable to my computer. Does that make sense?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Lara Aug 9, 2012

Why don't you ask the client? You should have done this at once - don't be afraid of communicating with your clients!

Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best unzip software for SDLX

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »