Suzanne Deliscar
Suzanne Deliscar  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:03
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 21, 2012

I have set up my Thunderbird account to save messages to the local folders, and to delete messages after 5 days from the server, in order to save space. While the messages are being saved to the local folder, when I do a search, the messages show up in the results but when I click on them they disappear. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help you can give.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:03
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Why local folders? Aug 21, 2012

Hi Suzanne,

I would recommend to set up an account in Thunderbird and keep the messages there (in the inbox), not in the local folders.

In the inbox you can set up as many subfolders as needed and set the filters so that the messages will be saved in the subfolders.

Natalia

Suzanne Deliscar
Canada
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Local Folders to Save Space on Server Aug 21, 2012

Hi Natalia,

Thanks for your response. I am using the local folders as I send and receive a lot of e-mail with large attachments, which fills up my disk quota very quickly.

Suzanne

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Something I don't understand Aug 21, 2012

The messages fills up your disk quota - where? At your hard disk partition? In this case, where are your local folders located? At a different partition?

You can set up the folder for your mailbox at any partition you like.

Suzanne Deliscar
Canada
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Server Quota Exceeded Aug 22, 2012

Hi Natalie,

I will explain. If my inbox is set at 100 mb, then once 100 mb of e-mails have been received, I have to delete e-mails to keep receiving e-mails. If e-mails are saved to the local folders, and not left on the server, then the space is always free to receive new e-mails.

Thanks,

Suzanne

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Server quota vs local folders Aug 22, 2012

I see.

Suzanne, do you use a POP or IMAP server? You may want to take a look at this information:
http://www.justanswer.com/email/5v6vn-thunderbird-version-8-deleted-second-account-can-t.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mozilla Thunderbird - Accessing Messages on Local Folders

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »