Need word count tool for Mac/Office 2011
Thread poster: lisevs
lisevs
lisevs
Local time: 10:28
Nov 29, 2012

Hello,

I need a word count tool that can handle multiple files, runs on Mac and counts Office 2011 (for Mac) documents.

So far I didn't find any tool that meets my needs but I guess it will be out there somewhere where I just didn't look yet..

Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions

lise

Egils Grikis
Egils Grikis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:28
Russian to Latvian
+ ...
Word Counter | Mac | Office 2011 Nov 29, 2012

Word Counter offer three distinct count views:
· Word count only - For those only interested in the word count and no other details.
· Detailed count - Includes word, character, sentence, line and paragraph counts.
· Target - By entering your target word count you can monitor progress via the count of remaining words, a progress bar and % complete indicator.

Word Counter supports the following file formats TXT, RTF, DOC, DOCX, ODT, HTML and WORDML, so you can us
... See more
Word Counter offer three distinct count views:
· Word count only - For those only interested in the word count and no other details.
· Detailed count - Includes word, character, sentence, line and paragraph counts.
· Target - By entering your target word count you can monitor progress via the count of remaining words, a progress bar and % complete indicator.

Word Counter supports the following file formats TXT, RTF, DOC, DOCX, ODT, HTML and WORDML, so you can use any application that supports these formats, such as TextEdit, OpenOffice and Microsoft Word, to name but a few.

http://www.ilialang.com/mac/ilialang_in_development/Word_Counter.html

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word-counter/id412859550?mt=12

Lise Smidth wrote:

Hello,

I need a word count tool that can handle multiple files, runs on Mac and counts Office 2011 (for Mac) documents.

So far I didn't find any tool that meets my needs but I guess it will be out there somewhere where I just didn't look yet..

Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions

lise
Collapse

lisevs
lisevs
TOPIC STARTER
Word counter seems only to be able to handle a single file Nov 29, 2012

Thanks a lot, I watched the instructional video for the app and it seems it can handle only one file at a time. I have a whole bunch of files to be counted so I need to look for something else... - but thanks anyway for taking the time to help

br
lise

Egils Grikis
Egils Grikis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:28
Russian to Latvian
+ ...
Word Counter can perform bulk counts on multiple files and folders Nov 29, 2012

Word Counter is a Macintosh OS X application that performs a word count and a character count, but it can do much more. It can work alone or in conjunction with Apple's own TextEdit application via a small floating window. Text can be typed, pasted, or dragged into the window. Word Counter can automatically update the count based on a user-definable time interval. It also can perform bulk counts on multiple files and folders simply by dropping them onto the window.

Word Count
... See more
Word Counter is a Macintosh OS X application that performs a word count and a character count, but it can do much more. It can work alone or in conjunction with Apple's own TextEdit application via a small floating window. Text can be typed, pasted, or dragged into the window. Word Counter can automatically update the count based on a user-definable time interval. It also can perform bulk counts on multiple files and folders simply by dropping them onto the window.

Word Counter can count the number of times a particular word appears in a document. It can even create a sortable summary table of all words in the document, with the number of times each word appears and the length of each word. Word Counter can handle various file types including plain text (txt, text), rich text (rtf, rtfd), Hypertext Markup Language (htm, html), Microsoft Word (doc), Microsoft Word XML (wordml), and Apple's web archive (webarchive). This program may be useful for writing a manuscript or an abstract with a strict limit on the number of words or characters allowed.

http://word-counter.en.softonic.com/mac

Lise Smidth wrote:

Thanks a lot, I watched the instructional video for the app and it seems it can handle only one file at a time. I have a whole bunch of files to be counted so I need to look for something else... - but thanks anyway for taking the time to help

br
lise
Collapse

lisevs
lisevs
TOPIC STARTER
still no solution Dec 3, 2012

Hi Skallagrimson,

thanks a lot I tried the Word Counter from Softonic. Yes it can count multiple files, but unfortunately it can't handle .docx files.

I chose to count the files "manually" since it seemed more efficient than spending even more time on searching for the tool I need, but if someone comes across it somewhere out there I would be very happy to hear about it.

br
lise

Tom45 (X)
Tom45 (X)
Nice tool, but not ready yet Dec 4, 2012

Thanks for the link!

It is a nice tool but not ready for professional use yet:

- Headers/footers are not count.
- You cannot ignore hidden text.

I've filed an RFE for both features.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need word count tool for Mac/Office 2011

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »