Off topic: How to convert stl file into txt?
Thread poster: stai
stai
stai
Local time: 14:05
Dec 5, 2012

Can someone help me how to convert stl file into txt? Which program do I need to convert it? I tried to find on the internet but unfortunately with no success. I have to have all the data which i got in stl file converted into txt file. You are my last hope:). I use windows XP. Thank you VERY much in advance!

Stan

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:05
German to English
Hint Dec 5, 2012

Notepad++

Why you would need to do this escapes me however...
D

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
STL = stereolithography? Dec 5, 2012

stai wrote:

Can someone help me how to convert stl file into txt?

Do you really mean this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STL_(file_format) ?

Such files seem to have no translatable text content. If it is ASCII STL, you can open it using any text editor, anyway.

stai
stai
TOPIC STARTER
stai Dec 7, 2012

Thanks for all the replies. I am talking about STL-files in the EBU-format (European Broadcast Union). I tried to open as notepad but the words are "scattered". It looks like a "salad". Can I open with any programs where the words would be the same as in the STL files?

Thank you very much!

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
Local time: 13:05
English to French
subtitling software Dec 7, 2012

I think you need a subtitling software and then save as txt. This is only option I can think of.

Sorry

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
EBU is an open format :-) Dec 7, 2012

stai wrote:

I am talking about STL-files in the EBU-format (European Broadcast Union).

Aha, it's this: http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3264.pdf

As every bit is defined in the above PDF, one could write a simple converter software. But would this pay off?

stai
stai
TOPIC STARTER
stai Dec 8, 2012

As every bit is defined in the above PDF, one could write a simple converter software. But would this pay off?

No, it doesnot pay me off to pay someone to make a simple converter program. I try to find on the internet somethng which is for free. Almost everything exists on the web for free, probably even that simple converter, but i cannot find it

Can someone help me? Can somenone have the same problem
... See more

No, it doesnot pay me off to pay someone to make a simple converter program. I try to find on the internet somethng which is for free. Almost everything exists on the web for free, probably even that simple converter, but i cannot find it

Can someone help me? Can somenone have the same problem as I have and it was successuffuly solved?
Collapse

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
See this thread Dec 8, 2012

Hi Stai,

See here : http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/105758-ebu_format_not_compatible_with_subtitle_workshop.html

Jose explains everything

Have a great week-end

stai
stai
TOPIC STARTER
stai Dec 8, 2012

@catherine - Jose explained the other things. Maybe I am not clear because I am not English. Anyway, I have EBU STL files (That files are OK) but my clients want to have it in txt files with no "mass". If I open that file (EBU STL as notepad it is like a "salad" - no spaces, some words are missing etc.), and the clients declined it of course. So, it has to be everything in the same structure as if I open ebu stl file in an appropr... See more
@catherine - Jose explained the other things. Maybe I am not clear because I am not English. Anyway, I have EBU STL files (That files are OK) but my clients want to have it in txt files with no "mass". If I open that file (EBU STL as notepad it is like a "salad" - no spaces, some words are missing etc.), and the clients declined it of course. So, it has to be everything in the same structure as if I open ebu stl file in an appropriate program. I need some kind of converter to convert that files into txt with the same text ...

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert stl file into txt?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »