MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 21:48
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Dec 10, 2012

Hi colleagues,

I am getting quite pushy numerous promo emails from WhiteSmoke (almost every day) and they are offering me their "best proposals" and "last chances" to purchase WhiteSmoke software. The price of those "best offers" went from 100 USD to 50 USD with their last Christmas proposal, and I do not consider 50 USD as a big price.

However, for me the issue is not the price itself, but is it worth at all to pay a dime for this thing? Is it useful, practical and re
... See more
Hi colleagues,

I am getting quite pushy numerous promo emails from WhiteSmoke (almost every day) and they are offering me their "best proposals" and "last chances" to purchase WhiteSmoke software. The price of those "best offers" went from 100 USD to 50 USD with their last Christmas proposal, and I do not consider 50 USD as a big price.

However, for me the issue is not the price itself, but is it worth at all to pay a dime for this thing? Is it useful, practical and really is what they say it is (not only a nice convincing promo). Is there anyone who uses WhiteSmoke already to share their experiences and advice me?
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:48
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Negative Dec 10, 2012

The reviews here are totally negative (and quite funny):

http://download.cnet.com/WhiteSmoke-2012/3000-2279_4-10248324.html

Example:

"Pros
If you want to hate your computer and you do not value your own sanity, than this software nightmare is for you.

Cons
Just try to delete this nightmare if you accidently
... See more

Example:

"Pros
If you want to hate your computer and you do not value your own sanity, than this software nightmare is for you.

Cons
Just try to delete this nightmare if you accidently became infected with this vile piece of *$#@!"

[Edited at 2012-12-10 16:45 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Never download anything from Cnet Dec 10, 2012

Last time when I did I got an add-on (Claro search) that replaced Google search in all my browsers. I had trouble to get rid of them, and it seems Firefox is still infected. (I had to delete tow programs in control panel and reset Firefox to default settings).

Never again.

[Bearbeitet am 2012-12-10 17:06 GMT]

MariusV
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Tom Dec 10, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

Example:

"Pros

Cons
Just try to delete this nightmare if you accidently became infected with this vile piece of *$#@!"

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much indeed. The idea to check its reviews by customers really did not come to my head. And yes, I read these reviews and never found a single positive one. One more strange and really annoying thing - I had their trial version installed, did not have time to "try" it for a bunch of reasons, the trial period expired, and I (damn it) cannot even remove it (but I tried to remove it via "Add/Remove..." from Control Panel). And each time I start my PC, the part of it loads even faster than my antivirus soft and each time it tells me that for a full removal I need to restart my PC (but I restarted it after the removal for several dozen times already). Let alone their annoying "promo emails" every day...I do not like such an annoying approach...And this does not give a good impression about the product developer itself...

For conclusion, I found one more review from one really angry user. Well, I believe he/she has the reasons for the words he/she said. Sorry to the Proz.com moderator in advance, just quoting that review "as it is":

Summary

It sucks. It's over priced. It sucks. You'll get viruses and spammed to death. Your most advanced computer will run like a Commodore 64. There's no customer service. In case I forgot to mention it, this program really sucks.

They say there's a sucker born every minute. From one sucker to the next, don't open your wallet.

MariusV
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it is more like a virus Dec 10, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Last time when I did I got an add-on (Claro search) that replaced Google search in all my browsers. I had trouble to get rid of them, and it seems Firefox is still infected. (I had to delete tow programs in control panel and reset Firefox to default settings).

Never again.

[Bearbeitet am 2012-12-10 17:06 GMT]
\

Thanks, Heinrich. Well, it seems to be more like a virus than a software. In other words, it is probably the first virus that is "on sale" and for which some people already paid 50-100 USD...

Now I am reading information how to remove this crap from my PC as it seems it is not so easy to do it. Despite I tried to remove it via Add/Remove Programs (Control Panel)...This crap restarted my PC with an opened translation file without even asking my consent to restart (of course, some unsaved changes were lost, good that only small)...And after I restarted the PC, same story - this crap tells that I need to RESTART my PC to remove it. So, it really behaves like MALWARE.

Trying now to find some solution as how to remove this malware/virus for which, thanks god, I have not yet paid 50 USD...

John Holland
John Holland  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:48
French to English
This might help Dec 10, 2012

Here's a "self-help guide" for removing WhiteSmoke:

http://www.helpmyos.com/t2433-how-to-remove-or-uninstall-whitesmoke-translator-other-products

MariusV
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!!! Dec 10, 2012

John Holland wrote:

Here's a "self-help guide" for removing WhiteSmoke:

http://www.helpmyos.com/t2433-how-to-remove-or-uninstall-whitesmoke-translator-other-products

Hi John,

Thank you very much for this useful link!!! At last, using Revo Uninstaller, I managed to get rid of that piece of #$%^^&. And it seems my PC after this regained its "breath"... Quite interesting - I came here for advice whether or not to buy a soft, and now have to tell "thank you" about advice how to GET RID of it

John Holland
John Holland  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Excellent Dec 10, 2012

Glad I could help!

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Worth a laugh, though Dec 10, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

Example:

"Pros

Cons

I have vaguely heard of the program, and it clearly has one benefit in that it makes you able to write highly entertaining negative reviews.

Peter van der Hoek
Peter van der Hoek
Spain
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Add Web of Trust to your browser Dec 12, 2012

I recommend you add Web of Trust (WOT) to your browser. It will steer you clear of downloading these virus-like programs (it won't even open the website but tell you this site has a very bad reputation).

Cheers,

Peter

aliasonly
aliasonly  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Web of Trust Dec 13, 2012

Peter van der Hoek wrote:

I recommend you add Web of Trust (WOT) to your browser. It will steer you clear of downloading these virus-like programs (it won't even open the website but tell you this site has a very bad reputation).

Peter

Hi Peter, is it really a safe and reputable software with proven functionality, totally different from WhiteSmoke? Is it easy to uninstall without having any nasty effect to the computer?

Further info from anyone who has used it will be appreciated.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:48
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
About White Smoke: writing tool or malware? Dec 13, 2012

Hi Marius:

See these two old posts of mine, about White Smoke:

WhiteSmoke: a review

and

Hite Smoke: writing tool or malware?

Short version: as an editor/gra
... See more
Hi Marius:

See these two old posts of mine, about White Smoke:

WhiteSmoke: a review

and

Hite Smoke: writing tool or malware?

Short version: as an editor/grammar checker it's not very good, and what's worse, it's basically malware, since it requires a third party uninstaller to scrub your computer of this program. Steer clear of it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WhiteSmoke - is it worth the dime?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »