Thread poster: Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 03:42
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 24, 2012

Does anyone have this same problem or know how to contact Skype for support? When they updated - and they did this automatically when I logged in - I lost the sound, that is, I could hear the person I called but they couldn't hear me. I can watch online videos etc. and according to all my checks, my sound system is working normally.

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 11:42
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Problem at the person called Dec 24, 2012

The person you called should test his/her sound system.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not the other person Dec 24, 2012

The other people are using a regular landline or cell phone - nothing wrong at their end. I can talk to them just fine on my regular phone but it's too expensive.

Egils Grikis
Egils Grikis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:42
Russian to Latvian
+ ...
Skype Test Call Dec 24, 2012

Had you tried Skype Test Call?

Hi, this is the Skype test call robot. Add me to your contacts and give me a call to check your sound setup. See http://www.skype.com/go/help for more assistance. Thanks.

Cheers,

Egils

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Does anyone have this same problem or know how to contact Skype for support? When they updated - and they did this automatically when I logged in - I lost the sound, that is, I could hear the person I called but they couldn't hear me. I can watch online videos etc. and according to all my checks, my sound system is working normally.

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:42
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Buy a calling card Dec 24, 2012

Dear Tina,

It seems that you are having the same problem that I have encountered with Skype in the past. Sometimes the person on the other end can't hear me even though I can hear them.

Tina Vonhof wrote:

If you click on the "Help" button on your Skype you should be able to find some links for contacting customer support, here's a link I found:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12046/how-can-i-get-support-for-skype

If you want to call someone on a phone who doesn't have Skype you can buy a calling card to call them. That way you can use your phone to call them without having to worry about Skype working properly.

I like this site for calling cards: http://www.thephonecardstore.com/

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 24, 2012

Thanks a million for that suggestion, Sarah. I didn't know much about calling cards and what rates they offer - it's a great, and cheaper, alternative to Skype.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Test call Dec 24, 2012

Test call and everything else I checked is fine, so I am really at a loss. I think a calling card will be much easier, and cheaper as well. Skype still charges an arm and a leg for calling someone in Europe who is on mobile phone.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Skype microphone settings Dec 25, 2012

In the upper toolbar go to:

Calls > Audio settings > Microphone, and then select the proper microphone (as you may be using more than one) - you can also change the microphone volume here

If this doesn't help, maybe you need to do the same (microphone/audio settings) in your general computer settings.

nb. I've just seen you had done the Skype test call successfully, which probably means the microphone settings are alright.

[Edited at 2012-12-25 00:06
... See more
In the upper toolbar go to:

Calls > Audio settings > Microphone, and then select the proper microphone (as you may be using more than one) - you can also change the microphone volume here

If this doesn't help, maybe you need to do the same (microphone/audio settings) in your general computer settings.

nb. I've just seen you had done the Skype test call successfully, which probably means the microphone settings are alright.

[Edited at 2012-12-25 00:06 GMT]
Collapse

Ian Forbes
Ian Forbes  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 21:42
Member (2007)
Indonesian to English
+ ...
Skype microphone settings (continued) Dec 25, 2012

I have had similar problems calling Indonesia. The trick that worked for me is to plug in an extra microphone either into your sound jack or a USB port, restart the computer, then check your microphone settings as in the post above. See if the settings detect the new microphone and try using that, or alternatively reselect your original microphone and see if that works.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Tina Dec 25, 2012

I had exactly the same problem after a recent Skype update, and the culprit was the microphone as the settings were changed automatically during update.

So please check what has been suggested by Lingua 5B above, this should help.

Natalia

P.S. Hmmm... Even if you heard your own voice during the test call the mic setting can be still wrong in Skype, so just check it!

[Edited at 2012-12-25 22:14 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Dec 26, 2012

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I don't use Skype on a day-to-day basis, only to call out and only for international calls, so I am sold on the idea of a calling card.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost sound on Skype

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »