https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/262456-how_to_decompile_encyclopaedia_britannica_software_program-page2.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to decompile Encyclopaedia Britannica software program?
Thread poster: Reed James
Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:56
English
+ ...
The meaning of “decompile” Jan 12, 2014

Reed D James wrote:

What is the difference between decompiling and/or copying and pasting from a software program and converting a PDF to an editable document to be indexed and searched by the owner? How about buying the set of encyclopedias in print form and making photocopies to take on the road with you? Haven't we all done something like that? What if I had a prodigal memory and I took it upon myself to read and memorize each and every Encyclopaedia Britannica article and then profit immensely from all the knowledge I gained? Isn't that decompiling in a sense?

In computer science, to “compile” means to take a set of source code and translate it into either some intermediate “object code” or to executable “machine code”. To “decompile” means to take the machine code and then reverse engineer the original source code.

Copying and pasting is nothing like decompilation.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Something went wrong... Fields in red are required. Jan 12, 2014

Reed D James wrote:
The way I see it, if I own a product, then it's mine to do whatever I want with it in the privacy of my own home.

Whether you can or can't do that depends on the laws of your country. It also depends on any promises that you may have made. If you had promised the person you bought if from that you would not open it, then you can't open it without breaking your promise. And whether any such promise is legally enforceable, depends on the laws of your country.

What is the difference between decompiling and/or copying and pasting from a software program and converting a PDF to an editable document to be indexed and searched by the owner?

This is a question that you should ask in a programmers' forum, and I think you'll find (to begin with) that it is widely understood that there is a distinct difference between altering data and/or using data and altering instructions and/or using instructions. But that is for another forum.

I also think (as I have said before) that you should not use the word "decompile" when talking about software if you don't mean what programmers mean by the word. What you call "decompile" is not what EULAs mean by it, and your continual use of that word creates unnecessary confusion.

As for the macros, I found them to be buggy... Somehow, the computer seized up when the macro told it to save the article, even though the timing was exactly the same as when I did it manually.

A macro recorder is nice, but sometimes it's better to write it from scratch.

Did you use the method that I describe in my previous post?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Here's my little script for it Jan 12, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

Here is my little script for it:
http://wikisend.com/download/988570/EBUR%20Copier.zip

It copies the articles to text files, not HTML files. It copies 1 article every 2 seconds. You have to install AutoIt to make it work, and I suggest you tinker with it and learn AutoIt in the process.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The script again Jan 1, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

Here is my little script for it:
http://wikisend.com/download/988570/EBUR%20Copier.zip
It copies the articles to text files, not HTML files. It copies 1 article every 2 seconds. You have to install AutoIt to make it work, and I suggest you tinker with it and learn AutoIt in the process.

Someone asked for the script again. Here it is:
http://www.leuce.com/autoit/EBUR%20Copier%20v02.zip

I no longer have this program on my computer, so I can't troubleshoot any problems. The script is somewhat unfinished because I had assumed that the original poster would give feedback about it, but he didn't. It worked for me, way back when I wrote it, but anything can happen.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to decompile Encyclopaedia Britannica software program?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »