Laurent Fel
Laurent Fel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:28
English to French
+ ...
Apr 2, 2014

Good morning

Is it possible and how complex is it to read/convert Trados files in WF Pro and back? thank you
Laurent

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 04:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
afaik, yes Apr 2, 2014

I work for agencies who accept the fact that I can work with Wordfast Pro rather than Trados. Have had the occasional hiccup with compatibility of versions, but the last time I worked like this (last month) everything went smoothly. The latest files I have received have had to be in .tmx version 1.4 for me to be able to open them with my latest version of Wordfast.

Here's sth from the web on the subject (the mistakes are theirs!):

"To use a Trados TM in Wordfast, ask y
... See more
I work for agencies who accept the fact that I can work with Wordfast Pro rather than Trados. Have had the occasional hiccup with compatibility of versions, but the last time I worked like this (last month) everything went smoothly. The latest files I have received have had to be in .tmx version 1.4 for me to be able to open them with my latest version of Wordfast.

Here's sth from the web on the subject (the mistakes are theirs!):

"To use a Trados TM in Wordfast, ask your client Export it first into TMX (Trados Workbench > File > Export > TMX 1.4).[1]

When your finish you translation, Export our TM from Wordfast Pro. You client client can *Import* this TMX translation memory into a Trados translation memory as long as both TMs have the same language variants. So you have to make sure which language variants are used in the Trados TM. If they are different from the one in your WFP TM, create a new WF TM with the correct language locales and clean up your TXML file(s) against it (before exporting it into the TMX format).[2]"

Hope this is of some help.

Editing to add this: can't be v complex because I'm no IT whizzkid!

[Edited at 2014-04-02 20:14 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility of Trados and Wordfast Pro

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »