What's the best software for working with text over graphs?
Thread poster: Leonel Acuna
Leonel Acuna
Leonel Acuna
Chile
Apr 6, 2014

What are the best options out there?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:38
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
No "best software" in general Apr 6, 2014

Graphic files can be created with various programs, and there are lots of graphic formats. So unless you specify a certain file format, it is impossible to provide any reasonable answer.

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:38
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
... Apr 6, 2014

If the graph has a very visual background and small amounts of text, Adobe Illustrator lets you remove the text, adjust the background and add the new text with that background shining through.

Ordinary graphs with plain background are fairly easy to adjust in Word by simply placing text boxes over the top and then taking a screenshot of the adjusted graph.

If a lot of text needs changing, but the graph itself is straightforward/standard format, it is easier to recreate
... See more
If the graph has a very visual background and small amounts of text, Adobe Illustrator lets you remove the text, adjust the background and add the new text with that background shining through.

Ordinary graphs with plain background are fairly easy to adjust in Word by simply placing text boxes over the top and then taking a screenshot of the adjusted graph.

If a lot of text needs changing, but the graph itself is straightforward/standard format, it is easier to recreate the graph in Excel from scratch. For slightly more sophisticated graphs, there is statistics software. The only ones I ever use are SPSS and Stata, there may be better options, but SPSS is pretty straightforward.

I very rarely actually deal with this. I tell my clients that my rate only applies if I receive all files in fully editable format and with all the relevant source files. I tell them my hourly rate for dealing with ancilliary services, such as editing text over graphs. And I advise them that they might save a lot of money by outsourcing that part of the service to a low-income country. 99% of the time, the editable files magically appear.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the best software for working with text over graphs?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »