OCR software recommendations
Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:48
Italian to English
Dec 20, 2015

I am currently looking to invest in OCR software and wondered what you recommend? I know that ABBYY Finereader is generally considered the best OCR tool out there - would you agree, or are there others which perform similarly well?

Also if anyone has any recent experience with open source programmes, I would love to hear your input.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Free solutions Dec 20, 2015

TM-Town and Wordfast Anywhere can OCR your texts for free. Wait a moment, SmartCat (Abbyy) offers this service too. You'll have to download an intermediate format like XLIFF to translate in your own tool.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:48
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Look at Omnipage Dec 20, 2015

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:
I know that ABBYY Finereader is generally considered the best OCR tool out there - would you agree, or are there others which perform similarly well?

I have been surprised that so many people use FineReader as Omnipage (I own Omnipage 18) is the big old grandaddy of the industry, which I think has been around for a couple of decades now.

Given that so many people seem to like FineReader, for a while I ran Omnipage and the trial version of Abbyy FineReader in tandem to see if I was missing anything.

I found that Ominpage did a consistently better job of OCR'ing Japanese text than FineReader. FineReader would sometimes do a better job on some areas of a document than Omnipage, but overall I found Omnipage made fewer mistakes, though the difference was not large.

Some caveats:

• Omnipage seems to me to offer significantly more power - all kinds of custom zoning, templates, batch processing and so on - but also seems significantly more complex. I use it only occasionally and to master it I would have to sit down for a couple of days and really learn how to use it. FineReader appeared much simpler, but less ultimately capable.
  • I have only tested with Japanese and English. Your results with other scripts and languages may vary.

Regards
Dan

Kamonchanok Kulpanyalert
Kamonchanok Kulpanyalert  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 01:48
Member (2014)
English to Thai
+ ...
Depends on the languages Dec 21, 2015

It really depends on the languages.
In my case, although I translate less from Thai to English, and more from English to Thai, I think having an OCR tool that can OCR Thai is better.
Abbyy Finereader, Abbyy Transformer+, and Foxit PhantomPDF (Abbyy's engine too, if I'm not wrong) are the only options for me. Omnipage cannot OCR Thai.
However, in my opinion, Thai OCR results are still bad, and hiring a typist is better in some cases.

In the end, I choose Abbyy Tra
... See more
It really depends on the languages.
In my case, although I translate less from Thai to English, and more from English to Thai, I think having an OCR tool that can OCR Thai is better.
Abbyy Finereader, Abbyy Transformer+, and Foxit PhantomPDF (Abbyy's engine too, if I'm not wrong) are the only options for me. Omnipage cannot OCR Thai.
However, in my opinion, Thai OCR results are still bad, and hiring a typist is better in some cases.

In the end, I choose Abbyy Transformer+, because I want it to do other things rather than OCR too (e.g. e-signing, editing, and so on).
These days I OCR Thai texts just to have a word count estimate.
If the source text is in English, I will use either Abbyy Transformer+ or Solid Converter, which I have free access via Trados Studio 2015.

Talking about English OCR/PDF conversion to Word, I tried some PDF and OCR tools, and in my opinion, I like the results from Omnipage (and Nuance Power PDF, they're from the same company) and Solid Converter.
So if Omnipage (or Nuance Power PDF) and Solid Converter support your languages, you may want to try them whether they provide better results than Abbyy.

Kamonchanok

[Edited at 2015-12-21 09:09 GMT]
Collapse

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
OmniPage Dec 21, 2015

I'm with Dan on this one. I too have OmniPage 18 and I am very pleased with it. I had a job in recently with over 50 scanned documents, some up to more than 30 pages, and some were pretty poor quality with small font sizes. OmniPage managed to do a good job on all of the files and I did very little editing before working on the *.docx files in Studio 2015. Of the two versions available I found the normal version more than adequate for my work. It cost €85 which is soon returned just by the min... See more
I'm with Dan on this one. I too have OmniPage 18 and I am very pleased with it. I had a job in recently with over 50 scanned documents, some up to more than 30 pages, and some were pretty poor quality with small font sizes. OmniPage managed to do a good job on all of the files and I did very little editing before working on the *.docx files in Studio 2015. Of the two versions available I found the normal version more than adequate for my work. It cost €85 which is soon returned just by the minimal amount of post editing.

Get the trial version and test it. Look out for special offers too.

Ben
Collapse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
My suggestions Dec 21, 2015

As said by 2nl some free solutions exist.

My favorite is Free OCR, excellent for a lot of selectable source languages :

http://www.freeocr.net/

LibreOffice Draw 5 incorporates w
... See more
As said by 2nl some free solutions exist.

My favorite is Free OCR, excellent for a lot of selectable source languages :

http://www.freeocr.net/

LibreOffice Draw 5 incorporates what you need to edit a PDF :

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-dojo/edit-pdf-documents-with-libreoffice-draw/

MS Word 2016 opens and edits PDFs. Interesting, like Free OCR, if you then want to work with a CAT tool.

The first two ones are absolutely free...

Have fun!
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Have not tried Omnipage recently Oct 6, 2017

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:
I am currently looking to invest in OCR software and wondered what you recommend? I know that ABBYY Finereader is generally considered the best OCR tool out there - would you agree, or are there others which perform similarly well?

I started out with Omnipage, but when Abbyy came around I found it, in general, did a better job, as long as I chose a manual setup rather than an automatic one. Using an automatic option usually means garbage is included, and that is regardless of which program I try.

So I have found Abbyy a better solution for my purposes, but things change, so it may be if I tried the latest versions, I might change my mind.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OCR software recommendations

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »