Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 09:12
English to French
+ ...
May 9, 2016

Hello everyone
True Key, another new software has installed itself on my computer without my consent, another event that makes me wonder if humans are still in control of the Web, or vice-versa. My research has revealed that True Key is replacing PasswordBox. Fine, but I never heard about PasswordBox so far and I don't think it was ever installed on my computer (although you can never be sure). I must admit here that I manage my thousands of passwords in a very primitive (simple) way.
... See more
Hello everyone
True Key, another new software has installed itself on my computer without my consent, another event that makes me wonder if humans are still in control of the Web, or vice-versa. My research has revealed that True Key is replacing PasswordBox. Fine, but I never heard about PasswordBox so far and I don't think it was ever installed on my computer (although you can never be sure). I must admit here that I manage my thousands of passwords in a very primitive (simple) way.
So does True Key have any real use for me? Or is it just one of those vicious bottomless traps of our modern times? Should I get rid of it? And how? There is no uninstall option, and analyses by CCleaner and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware don't seem to notice True Key's presence.
And generally what is the general approach you adopt when unrequested software invades your computer?
By the way I am on Windows 7 professional.
Thank you for your answers and suggestions.

Jean-Pierre
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:12
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
General approach May 9, 2016

Jean-Pierre Artigau wrote:

And generally what is the general approach you adopt when unrequested software invades your computer?
By the way I am on Windows 7 professional.

A good general approach: wipe out that micro$oft trash off your hard drive and install a good operating system. It leaves no chance for unrequested software because you (or, well, someone who has the superuser privileges) are the one who controls the system.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 14:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mucky pup May 9, 2016

I googled "what is true key" and it appears to be from Intel, so it may have been bundled in with your OS. However, I can't find it on my W7 PCs. If it won't let you uninstall it, it may be malware or a PUP (possibly unwanted program). This type of thing sometimes installs itself when you're looking at dodgy sites online, for example football matches or movie downloading/streaming sites.
... See more
I googled "what is true key" and it appears to be from Intel, so it may have been bundled in with your OS. However, I can't find it on my W7 PCs. If it won't let you uninstall it, it may be malware or a PUP (possibly unwanted program). This type of thing sometimes installs itself when you're looking at dodgy sites online, for example football matches or movie downloading/streaming sites.

I tried to access this site -> http://removeallthreats.com/help-to-get-rid-of-true-key/ ... but my antivirus software sets off an alert, so I'm not looking into it any further.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Intel May 9, 2016

According to Intel Security, which is where True Key comes from, here are the uninstall instructions. It probably came with your OS.

https://help.truekey.com/hc/en-us/articles/212870718-How-do-I-uninstall-the-True-Key-app-from-my-Windows-device-

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all May 9, 2016

Special thanks to John Fossey, I got rid of the thing by following your link. Of course I probably could have found the solution myself with some patience.

Jean-Pierre

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

True Key?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »