bug or feature? wordfast automatically adds spaces between dots
Thread poster: Simon Baumberg
Simon Baumberg
Simon Baumberg
Local time: 13:50
German to English
Aug 17, 2016

Hello,

I am using Wordfast Classic v.6.13 in Office 2007 under a Windows 7 OS.

The problem/phenomenon I am experiencing is that in each new sentence taken for segmenting, Wordfast adds spaces between the dots (points/periods).

Back when I first installed Wordfast and got it running, I remember seeing some prompt asking me if I wanted to have some kind of feature turned on in which spaces would be added, and I didn't know what it meant and clicked ok without
... See more
Hello,

I am using Wordfast Classic v.6.13 in Office 2007 under a Windows 7 OS.

The problem/phenomenon I am experiencing is that in each new sentence taken for segmenting, Wordfast adds spaces between the dots (points/periods).

Back when I first installed Wordfast and got it running, I remember seeing some prompt asking me if I wanted to have some kind of feature turned on in which spaces would be added, and I didn't know what it meant and clicked ok without thinking. It seems that this bug/feature has set itself up universally and I don't know how to shut it off.

For example, if the sentence contains a URL like this:
"Hello, I am going to log in at http://www.proz.com."

Wordfast will turn the sentence into
"Hello, I am going to log in at http://www. proz. com."

Or if I have a sentence with dates in it like this:
"On Thursday 12.12.2016 I had to work late."

Wordfast will turn the sentence into:
"On Thursday 12. 12. 2016 I had to work late."

I have often tried googling terms like "Wordfast adds spaces", but I can't find any reference to this function and I don't know how to turn it off.
Is anybody familiar with this functionality and know how to switch it off?
I would really appreciate it, because I am fed up with having to reinsert these spaces all the time.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:50
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Did you try newest version? Aug 18, 2016

I use WFC 6.44.
I don't find any entry for your feature, but have you tried to reset in Setup?

Simon Baumberg
Simon Baumberg
Local time: 13:50
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tried a reset under the Setup tab - did not help Aug 24, 2016

Thank you for your replay and suggestion.
I have not tried the newest version yet.

I did get around to trying a reset under the Setup tab, though.
Unfortunately, after the reset, in a translation text with several URLs and dates (formatted: dd.mm.yyyy) the phenomenon continued to persist. In other words, spaces are still being added ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

bug or feature? wordfast automatically adds spaces between dots

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »