Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Dec 10, 2016

Hi All,
I want to create my own Android / iOS application.
Application would contain 3 functions.
User Login (I will give login and passwords to each my customer and I will know who is online in the application), Direct messaging and file/photo sending.
It wont be public in Android Market or Apple Store (in fact I don't know the procedures, does it cost money to publish the Application in Google PlayStore or AppStore?), but it will be downloadable through a specific link
... See more
Hi All,
I want to create my own Android / iOS application.
User Login (I will give login and passwords to each my customer and I will know who is online in the application), Direct messaging and file/photo sending.
It wont be public in Android Market or Apple Store (in fact I don't know the procedures, does it cost money to publish the Application in Google PlayStore or AppStore?), but it will be downloadable through a specific link (which I will give my customers myself).

I need information about ordering such tiny application.
How much such tiny application may cost in freelancer markets?

I know that I can find most information through searches on internet, however I seek real practical experiences
I would be very glad if you share your knowledge and experience for me and for the forum.
Thanks in advance,

Best,

M. Ali
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 23:36
English to German
Much work if you start from scratch Dec 11, 2016

Ali Bayraktar wrote:

Could you explain this further? Your customers will send messages and files among themselves? And you will watch what they are doing? The files/photos are to be created & viewed on a smartphone/tablet?

It wont be public in Android Market or Apple Store (...), but it will be downloadable through a specific link (which I will give my customers myself).

I need information about ordering such tiny application.

You need an online shop that is running 24/7 and offers several paying methods that are usable in serveral countries/currencies. There are shop operators who offer this as a service. Google for "ecommerce provider" + software or the like.

And you need a means that prevents unpaid usage. So you have to operate a 24/7 license server. If your app is "cheap", all licensing things must run fully automatically. Maybe, setting up these things will require more effort than your application proper. Anyway the shop and the licensing method must cooperate/fit to each other in some way or other.

(I developed a way for my desktop application, see www.omni-lookup.de – one server for promoting & downloading the app incl update feature plus one "invisible" server for licensing).

Ali Bayraktar
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cost for ordering an Android / iOS Application Dec 11, 2016

Hi Rolf,
Thanks for your reply
Rolf Keller wrote:
Could you explain this further? Your customers will send messages and files among themselves? And you will watch what they are doing? The files/photos are to be created & viewed on a smartphone/tablet?

They wont be able to send messages and files among themselves. They will see only me in their list.
But I can see all of them in my list. (I think admin version should be different than client version with this function)
Files/photos can be downloaded first. There is no need for in-application view function. After downloading they can be viewed everywhere (PC, Tablet, Smartphone etc)

You need an online shop that is running 24/7 and offers several paying methods that are usable in serveral countries/currencies. There are shop operators who offer this as a service. Google for "ecommerce provider" + software or the like.

And you need a means that prevents unpaid usage. So you have to operate a 24/7 license server. If your app is "cheap", all licensing things must run fully automatically. Maybe, setting up these things will require more effort than your application proper. Anyway the shop and the licensing method must cooperate/fit to each other in some way or other.

(I developed a way for my desktop application, see www.omni-lookup.de – one server for promoting & downloading the app incl update feature plus one "invisible" server for licensing).

In fact I dont want to sell any application or subscription.
It will be free for the ones whom I know.
Just like distributing business cards in real life, I will distribute this application from my phone/tablet to clients' phones/tablet (with a small card where I will write username and password for them)

I don't want that the application used by the ones whom I dont know.

For PlayStore and AppStor I just wonder if is it free to keep application there for downloading? Or I should pay Google and Apple something for that?
If it is free I can keep the application there and write there a note saying that the application can not be used without username and password.

But first of all I need to know the cost for preparing the application (for Android and Apple version)

Thanks in advance for the information you will share

Best,

M. Ali

[Edited at 2016-12-11 13:41 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
You have to become a member Dec 11, 2016

Ali Bayraktar wrote:

I don't want that the application used by the ones whom I dont know.

I'm not sure of whether usual app stores support such a restriction.

For PlayStore and AppStor I just wonder if is it free to keep application there for downloading? Or I should pay Google and Apple something for that?

You pay for being a member of the developer community:
Apple: 99 USD per year
https://developer.apple.com/programs/how-it-works/

Google: 25 USD single
https://developer.android.com/distribute/googleplay/start.html

If it is free I can keep the application there and write there a note saying that the application can not be used without username and password.
(...)
with a small card where I will write username and password for them

I'm not sure of whether usual app stores support a password management with passwords that are distributed by you.

Ali Bayraktar
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cost #1 is determined then Dec 11, 2016

Rolf Keller wrote:
I'm not sure of whether usual app stores support such a restriction.

May be it can be downloadable, but people cant use it without sending an email to me.
I dont know how can it work exactly but the only thing I know for sure is nobody whom I gave password or username will be able to use it.
In order not to disappoint people a notice screen can be put when application downloaded and ready to install. By pressing Agree they can send me and email, and the application will say them please wait for the confirmation mail with username and password. By this method I think users' disappointments may be eliminated (I mean curious users' disappointments, I dont think that hundreds or thousands of people will download my app)

You pay for being a member of the developer community:
Apple: 99 USD per year
https://developer.apple.com/programs/how-it-works/

Google: 25 USD single
https://developer.android.com/distribute/googleplay/start.html

Then we determined the Cost #1
99 USD or 25 USD per year.

What about the freelancers' fee in this scope?
And how to be sure that a freelancer did not breach any third party right while preparing an app for me?

I'm not sure of whether usual app stores support a password management with passwords that are distributed by you.

As I told in my first quote reply, this point can be solved by putting a notice at the beginning of installation. And when AGREE pressed an e-mail or an SMS can be sent. I dont know exactly but the bigger picture is the application itself.

So far we determined only Store fees and they cost around 130 USD/year.

Do you have any knowledge about the facts I asked above? Application developing fees?

Thanks in advance,

M. Ali

[Edited at 2016-12-11 18:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-12-11 18:26 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Hiring a software freelancer is more difficult than hiring a translator Dec 12, 2016

[quote]Ali Bayraktar wrote:

What about the freelancers' fee in this scope?
And how to be sure that a freelancer did not breach any third party right while preparing an app for me?

Now I see. You don't want to "build" an app (In your first mail you wrote "I want to create my own Android / iOS application"), instead you want to hire someone who is able to create an app. This explains a few things.

If you hire a freelancer for this work you have to write down a complete & totally clear & non-slapdash technical specification upfront, otherwise the project will become a fruitless one. Bear in mind that if you pay the freelancer for e. g. one(1) week, the freelancer will work on a different project for a different customer next week. No chance to correct overlooked details for free later on.

As I told in my first quote reply, this point can be solved by putting a notice at the beginning of installation. And when AGREE pressed an e-mail or an SMS can be sent. I dont know exactly but the bigger picture is the application itself.

I fear such an application will not pass Apple's checks. How could Apple make sure that you don't hide some illegal or unwanted functions behind some passwords?

Do you have any knowledge about the facts I asked above? Application developing fees?

Developer's fees range from 5 USD/hour to 1000 USD/day, depending on country and professionalism. There is no market price. But you don't know how simple or complicated your app is, your "bigger picture" might be deceptive. And you don't know how efficient & capable the developer you choose will work. So IMHO the only sensible way is to negotiate a fixed flat-rate fee – but this requires a complete specification.

Of course you can't be sure. That's why app stores are for developers and for people who are able to overview what is going on. It's you who have to sign the app store's terms & conditions.

99 USD or 25 USD per year.

No, "25 USD single" means" 25 USD" has to be paid only once".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cost for ordering an Android / iOS Application

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »