Thread poster: Roberta Rovelli
Roberta Rovelli
Roberta Rovelli
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 2, 2018

Good morning,

I am Language student and I have to write my master's thesis.

My professor and I have chosen to develop an open-source software for websites localization.

We would like to find out if there are already other similar software because I have done some researches but I have only found paid software.

Therefore i'm asking to you if you perhaps know some open-source software for websites localization.

Thank you in a
... See more
Good morning,

I am Language student and I have to write my master's thesis.

My professor and I have chosen to develop an open-source software for websites localization.

We would like to find out if there are already other similar software because I have done some researches but I have only found paid software.

Therefore i'm asking to you if you perhaps know some open-source software for websites localization.

Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Roberta Jul 2, 2018

Roberta Rovelli wrote:
I have done some researches but I have only found paid software.

Why not give us the list of paid software that you found, so that we can see what kinds of localisation you have in mind?

There was a time when web sites were simple things and they were all mostly written in HTML, which most/all CAT tools support these days. But these days, web sites are often not simple things anymore, and the translatable content can be in a variety of formats. Which formats or which types of web sites were you thinking of translating?

[Edited at 2018-07-03 08:36 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Cats Cradle was free when they launched it Jul 2, 2018

This was many years ago, but the early versions of Cats Cradle were free.
https://www.stormdance.net/software/catscradle/overview.htm

Now it's just affordable for anyone translating a reasonably sized commercial web site.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
It depends Jul 3, 2018

Roberta Rovelli wrote:

It depends on what is your definition of website localization.

OmegaT can translate a local copy of static websites, including the full structure (images, etc.).

In addition, it can download dynamically HTML pages from the web.

OmegaT has also filters for some CMS (Magento, Typo3).

Didier

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Pontoon Jul 3, 2018

Check out Mozilla's Localization Platform (open source): Pontoon - https://pontoon.mozilla.org/

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Pontoon Jul 3, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:
Check out Mozilla's Localization Platform (open source): Pontoon - https://pontoon.mozilla.org/

Pontoon is a good example of how translating a web site is no longer just about translating the actual web site. Pontoon doesn't read the source web site and lets you translate it into a target language. No, to use Pontoon, the web designer has to convert his web site into .lang or .property files first, and then somehow connect those files with the web site itself, in Pontoon, so that it appears to translators as if they're translating the web site (when in fact they're not translating the web site -- they're actually translating export files).

This only advantage of this over translating in a CAT tool is that the web designer can set up the translation environment to act like a WYSIWIG environment, if the web designer has time and skill to set it up like that.

A big problem with a platform like Pontoon would be managing updates. The web designer would have to find a way to automate the web-site-to-pontoon and pontoon-to-web-site procedures.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Please describe the task more precise Jul 3, 2018

Roberta Rovelli wrote:

I am Language Student (…) I have chosen to develop an open-source software for websites localization.

Maybe you are underestimating the task. Even an otherwise experienced programmer will have to learn many things by trial-and-error before he knows how to cope with web sites.

Or, do you mean localizing plain HTML files instead of websites?

I have only found paid software.

BTW, "paid" and "open source" don't form a sharp contrast to each other.

Jennifer Levey

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Web Sites Localization Software

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »