Martina Kichler
Martina Kichler
Austria
Local time: 07:05
English to German
+ ...
Nov 21, 2018

Hello everyone,

I translate a lot of patents and very often I have to translate figures/drawings that include text. The figures are provided as pdf picture images, so there is no way to mark the text or OCR the page. I am looking for an easy pdf editor, where I can open several pdf pages at a time, quickly replace the text in the figures, and also write vertical text. Does anyone have a suggestion? I tried with inkscape, abby, PDFescape, Adobe Acrobat, but nothing works 100%.
... See more
Hello everyone,

I translate a lot of patents and very often I have to translate figures/drawings that include text. The figures are provided as pdf picture images, so there is no way to mark the text or OCR the page. I am looking for an easy pdf editor, where I can open several pdf pages at a time, quickly replace the text in the figures, and also write vertical text. Does anyone have a suggestion? I tried with inkscape, abby, PDFescape, Adobe Acrobat, but nothing works 100%.

Thanks a lot in advance
Martina
Collapse

Barbara Turchetto
Barbara Turchetto  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:05
Member (2008)
German to Italian
+ ...
Hi, Nov 21, 2018

I work with patents, too and my client requires me to convert the .pdf in .jpg and work with paint. It's rather boring job, but so far it is the only way I have found.

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 08:05
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Infix PDF Editor Nov 21, 2018

Hi Martina,

You could try Infix PDF Editor. It marks all text boxes within a PDF file.
In my opinion, it is not good for OCR, however.

Cheers,
Georgi

Ankita Arora
Ankita Arora
India
You can try imgtranslate Jan 18, 2019

Hi Martina,

We are building a tool called imgtranslate which exactly does this. I hope it solves your problem.
you can try it on https://www.imgtranlsate.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a program for translating/editing patent figures

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »