DTP software: useful for translators or not?
Thread poster: Alvaro Pavié
Alvaro Pavié
Alvaro Pavié
Chile
Local time: 16:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 24, 2019

Greetings,

I'm a Chilean English-Spanish translator beginning to work as a freelancer. At the moment I'm using OmegaT for my projects and it has not disappointed.

However, I'm aware that DTP software specializes in creating page layouts for a variety of purposes, and the one I want to use right now is Scribus (since it's free).

Because I want to provide my clients with translated documents having the same layout as the source document, I'd like to know if
... See more
Greetings,

I'm a Chilean English-Spanish translator beginning to work as a freelancer. At the moment I'm using OmegaT for my projects and it has not disappointed.

However, I'm aware that DTP software specializes in creating page layouts for a variety of purposes, and the one I want to use right now is Scribus (since it's free).

Because I want to provide my clients with translated documents having the same layout as the source document, I'd like to know if it's a good idea to use DTP software or not, and if it is a good idead, how do I go about it?

Thanks!
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 22:07
English to German
The client's workflow has priority May 24, 2019

Alvaro Pavié wrote:

Because I want to provide my clients with translated documents having the same layout as the source document

The most important question is: What does the client plan to do with the file you deliver to him?

If the client plans to do some editing (or modifying/amending next year), a PDF file is unsuitable. If you deliver a file in a proprietary format (e. g. *.sla created by Scribus), the client might not be able to open that file.

Even clients who want to engage a printing service often are happy with a reasonable formatted Word file. They just edit this file and afterwards convert it to PDF.

[Bearbeitet am 2019-05-24 09:41 GMT]

neilmac
Adam Warren

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Charge more May 24, 2019

My basic rates specifically exclude things like DTP and formatting, and I prefer not to have to deal with PDFs at all. If I did decide to offer DTP and similar services, I would charge more, as I consider them added value to my basic wordsmithery.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Side hustle May 24, 2019

I rarely get requests for DTP from my clients. Having DTP skills might be useful in order to provide non-translation services when times are slow. The downside is that the software is expensive, and learning it takes some training. If you live near a city with a lot of commerce, there may be a need for people who can create brochures, catalogues, etc. Where I live, the hourly rate for DTP services is higher than my hourly rate for editing.

Alvaro Pavié
Alvaro Pavié
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So, right now, it's not a priority. May 24, 2019

I see, then I won't waste time learning how to use DTP software, at least for now.

Thanks for your replies!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It's a case of making the best use of your time May 26, 2019

You have to decide for yourself, but in my case, definitely not.

Years ago, I did a basic course in Adobe Pagemaker, and it was interesting.
It helped me to understand some of the possibilities and limitations (back then, 20 years ago) - in short, what could be done with DTP software. It was an eye-opener, many years after I actually worked at a printer's where they used linotypes, and blocks, before the great electronic revolution.

But it convinced me that I am a
... See more
You have to decide for yourself, but in my case, definitely not.

Years ago, I did a basic course in Adobe Pagemaker, and it was interesting.
It helped me to understand some of the possibilities and limitations (back then, 20 years ago) - in short, what could be done with DTP software. It was an eye-opener, many years after I actually worked at a printer's where they used linotypes, and blocks, before the great electronic revolution.

But it convinced me that I am a translator, not a potential DTP expert.

I am good at texts, but not at technology and layouts. Others are far better at the DTP side, but don't have the same ability with languages. A talented few can do both. So it depends what you are good at and what return you can get on your investment in time, effort and money.

For me, investing in DTP would not measure up with the results.
I use a CAT tool that can handle a lot of formats (and suits the way I work generally), then I let clients arrange for the rest.
Collapse

Adam Warren

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DTP software: useful for translators or not?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »